ASCAP Domestic Royalties…

Home Forums News ASCAP Domestic Royalties…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    johnnyboy
    Participant

I was really surprised to see a larger than average domestic royalty payment this morning. With all the ASCAP talk about revenue shortage, I thought it would be a lot smaller this quarter. I always like these kind of surprises. I hope the rest of you are surprised – that’s “happily”.

#35326 Reply
    maxquaini
    Participant

sounds great! congrats!

#35330 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I had my worst July payment in five years, but I’m not too worried – could be that some cue sheets were late.

#35331 Reply
    UpFromTheSkies
    Participant

Mine wasn’t terrible. In line with last July for me.

#35332 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

I had my worst July payment in five years, but I’m not too worried – could be that some cue sheets were late

Same here. Down 33%. I am slighlty worried because I just have to wonder if TV royalties are getting “borrowed” from committed TV writers to supplement the checks of popular artists who rely 100% on Live touring, concerts, radio airplay, stadium plays of their songs, retail store, hotel, restaurants, and airline plays of their popular songs.

The fact of the matter is that in these settings I listed above, the music stopped playing, and the customers stopped listening. Meanwhile Spotify’s stock has soared to earth shattering record highs during this pandemic. $130 a Share to $285 a share in just 3 months.

One thing is for sure Daniel Ek’s (Founder and CEO of Spotify) net worth has tripled during this pandemic. Isn’t this business interesting? Every pop music creator and live performing musician has been decimated during this pandemic, but Daniel EK now has a net worth of 6 Billion Dollars.

Tech Grus exploit and win every time. They “herd up” the content creators to exploit them as slaves and pay them fractions of pennies while they book hundreds of millions of subscriber fees. Spotify did create a tip jar though for all artists. They actually want subscribers to “tip” artists during the pandemic…LOL!

Content creators always get the short end of the stick.

#35333 Reply
    johnnyboy
    Participant

Yes, Music1234, many of us have those conspiracy theories today. And it’s not only funneled toward ASCAP.

#35339 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

I was horrified by this one. Worst July payment in 5 years. IT WAS DOWN OVER 50%. What on earth am I supposed to think about ASCAP at this point? Is the same trend happening at BMI?

#35340 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

not sure if same trend is happening at BMI. all i can say is June was my first BMI statement since resigning from ASCAP and it was a higher statement than any of my 3years with ASCAP. read into that what you will.

#35343 Reply
    johnnyboy
    Participant

How do you move all your titles from ASCAP to BMI. I have about 3,000 titles. If I had to move them one at a time (with all the data), it would take all day.

#35346 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

you have to contact all the publishers that those tracks are registered with and get them to submit a works removal form for those works. its actually straight forward enough even thou the PRO’s try to make it difficult as they dont want composers jumping ship with their catalogues. the other thing to remember is you have to let the PRO know of you plan to resign from them within a certain window. i think its between Oct-Dec of a year as far as i remember.

#35347 Reply
    johnnyboy
    Participant

Thanks Dannyc! I’m not planning on it, just interested how it’s done. ASCAP has been good with me. Doubt BMI would be any improvement.

#35360 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

I got lucky this time. Had my best July domestic ever. But I had a General Mills commercial that ran from August to December hundreds of times plus 4:30 network placement for a Downton Abbey special. Without those, it would have been pretty dismal.

#35363 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

congratz alan, always a delight to hear about your latest milestones

#35366 Reply
    johnnyboy
    Participant

Congrats Alan! Yes, the commercials/ promos saved my butt this time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: ASCAP Domestic Royalties…
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us