ASCAP IPI for registration….

Home Forums Newbie Questions ASCAP IPI for registration….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chuck Mott

I recently ran into a situation which a library where they (and it seems this is a nice rarity to have them do this before submitting music ) where they retitled and were attempting to register my tracks with ASCAP under my writer name and had written me a couple of times stating they couldn’t find me under the IPI I had listed. As it turns out, I had signed up as both publisher and writer. When you do this there are 2 separate IPI’s, one for publisher and one for writer. I wasn’t aware of this, and keep a separate notebook with my info, and so I don’t have to rely on memory, have been referring to the notebook where I unknowingly wrote down my publisher IPI. Turns out this is the wrong IPI, and to complicate things further listed my composer name on the ASCAP registration Charles (middle Name) Mott. Which virtually makes it impossible for the libraries to go in and register my tracks under my composer name. Food for thought. Anyone run into this kind of thing before? Glad I’m finding this out now instead of later as I try to add on more libraries.

#16494 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

If your middle name starts with a W, then from a quick ASCAP search your writer IPI is 678175698.

#16495 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

It is. The library said they looked under Charles Mott, and didn’t find it that way. Did you? I sent e-mails to the libraries I’m involved with and sent them the info anyway and let them know the correct # and my composer name as listed. And yes, the problem was I had set this up some time ago when I started and never gave 2 thoughts to it until a library contacted me. Regardless, grateful to the library for pointing it out, and nice to see one that seems to want to register my tracks as soon as they get them.

#16496 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

And they may very well have been looking under chuck mott……

#16499 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Good practice..via AS Email : We usually do composer lookups to correct the info before we start trying to register tracks…it saves a lot of grief and rejected registrations. BTW also sold another track here yesterday :).

#16509 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I looked under Charles, not Chuck. You could get ASCAP to include Chuck as a pseudonym under the same IPI, which would help if libraries don’t know your legal name. Might be a good idea, and also you should always remind your clients that there’s another ASCAP writer with the same name – you have different middle names. I have the same issue, and occasionally a client will mistakenly assign my works to his name.

#16799 Reply
    Trey Stevens

I have recently set up a publishing account and writer account on ASCAP but did not get assigned an IPI number for either one. they both say 0. Is this something that takes extra time, or did I mess up somewhere?? Thanks for any help you can give me. I have emailed ASCAP a week ago, but still waiting to hear back on the issue.

#16801 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

You might need to register some works to that publishing name before the IPI shows up. You should probably call them if it doesn’t make a difference after a few weeks – 1-800-952-7227

#16806 Reply
    Trey Stevens

Thanks Mark, I was wondering about that. So I will give it a try. Thank you for your time!!

#29062 Reply
    Likitha

Google

#31145 Reply
    ulrichellison
    Participant

Hi guys,

I wanted to point out another thing that I learned today: My legal name is different than my composer name. I learned today that my two names got different IPI’s! That’s different than at the PRO of my home country, Austria. I now need to go back and correct the mistake. Also weirdly enough, I got two IPI’s under the name “Ulrich Ellison”. Hmmmm……

#31146 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I learned today that my two names got different IPI’s!

I have 3 at BMI under 3 different versions of my name. They are all under 1 account number so BMI is keeping track.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Reply #16495 in ASCAP IPI for registration….
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us