ASCAP Member Survey – Fees in our future?

Home Forums Share It! ASCAP Member Survey – Fees in our future?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

I just took an ASCAP member survey. It started off generic, then went to
    How much do you pay for this service?
    How much would you pay for this service?
    If it cost $300 per year would you …?
    etc.
    uh oh. How hard was it to switch to BMI MichaelL?

There were a few comment blocks. I mentioned my dissatisfaction with Scripps and Tunesat policy.

#23184 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

How hard was it to switch to BMI MichaelL?

EPIC hard. Although, the whole idea is really funny, like…

“How much would you be willing to pay us to continue to miss performances and consistentaly under pay you, while we refuse to accept tunesat data and other proof from you, or your publisher?”

#23188 Reply
    Denbo_17
    Participant

Just took the survey… I certainly don’t make enough money to pay 300 bucks a year… Being in the corporate world I have learned surveys do 2 things normally… They let your customers/employees complain anonymously and they rarely help change anything for the better…

#23191 Reply
    yzzman1
    Participant

Just took the survey as well. I mentioned how unfair it is that they don’t accept TuneSat data as well as how much the “sample survey” negatively affects composers. Can’t even fathom the idea of a yearly fee – composers have had enough financials stripped in the past few years – now our own PRO is considering jumping on THAT bandwagon?

#23223 Reply
    Sean Clark

I hope BMI doesn’t follow that path. I switched to BMI this past July.

It was fairly easy since I left all previous works at ASCAP.

Working with publishers to move things over can be very complicated I’m sure.

#23225 Reply
    Jay

I don’t even know how to respond to this..I took the survey and definitely spoke my mind…ASCAP misses a LOT of my music that’s used as I see it on Tunesat and stumble upon it on my own..now they want me to pay them not to pay me? umm…what?

#23227 Reply
    fauxmusicsupe

Hi all,

The famous FMS here. The production company which i work signed up for tunesat to keep track of our in house cues, it barely works. It picks up less than a third of our placements. It’s laughable and embarrassing. Be glad and happy that your pros don’t use it.

#23228 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

It picks up less than a third of our placements.

Of course my sample is much smaller than FMS but I do not find Tunesat that bad. I’d say it picks up 60-70% and catches quite a few that BMI misses.

#23229 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Another thing to remember. Networks are speeding up shows to cram in more commercials. This it makes it more difficult for any detection service to accurately detect music whether they use watermarking or fingerprinting.

#23230 Reply
    AudioSparx
    Participant

Can someone please share the URL for the ASCAP Member Survey?
    Any annual fee is greedy in the extreme.

Thanks,

Lee

#23233 Reply
    yzzman1
    Participant

I’ve had a similar experience as Art – TuneSat picks up about 60-70 percent of my usage. Overall I like it. Been with them for a few years now.

#23250 Reply
    Greg

I think the url is specific to each person that got it.

#23328 Reply
    Steve
    #23330 Reply
    Steve

@Greg If the PIN in the above survey URL link is how ASCAP tracks the end user, that’s pretty terrible, but I would not be surprised. It’s ridiculous how far behind they are in terms of technology, even on simple things like a survey.

#23333 Reply

I was too late for the Member Survey but took the Publisher Survey.
    There was no “$300” question in it.
    Told them I was thinking of switching to BMI from what I’ve heard here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: ASCAP Member Survey – Fees in our future?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us