Audio Interface Problem?

Home Forums Hardware Audio Interface Problem?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    alicehive

Hi!

I just bought a new computer, i7-3770, 8GB RAM. I use Cubase and have a very high asio workload even if I only use a couple of vstis (and even if I set the buffer length as high as possible to the point of noticable latency). I’m wondering whether it could have to do something with my audio interface. Maybe it’s just not good enough?

I use a focusrite saffire 6. It’s an usb audio interface and it uses usb 1.0. I wonder whether that’s too slow for modern vstis?

My cpu workload is only around 10% while the asio workload is constantly reaching 50%, 60% and higher.

Do you have any experience with this? Or with the performance of usb interfaces in general? Can you recommend a fast interface in case I need to buy a new one?

Thank you!

Alice

#8301 Reply
    Sean

@alicehive

I found this article:

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1127

Not sure if it’s exactly what you are describing.  Hope it helps.

Sean

#8302 Reply
    alicehive

It’s not what I’m describing. The connection between the interface and the computer is established. My problem is that the high ASIO workload that makes it impossible to use more than a few tracks in Cubase.

#8304 Reply
    Wildman

That`s a weird problem. In Cubase5 f.e. it was a little bug, the asio showed more workload than it really was. With C6.5 or C7 it`s better. If you work on orchestral themes, with a lot of vsts, I would set the asio buffer to 512 or higher and if you work on tracks with a lot of audio tracks I would set the buffer to 256 or lower.

But it can be another problem as well. The driver of  your Focusrite is spoiled. I would re-install the driver. Cubase is not set correctly, that can also be, or you use some defective vsts or plugIns which can spoil the whole system. It`s a bit of a puzzle game to find out what`s the problem….

Good luck…..

#8305 Reply
    Wildman

and of course it can be a spoiled motherboard or Ram as well…

#8306 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Are you sure it’s USB 1 ? If so maybe an issue as its very old tech and slow, All current interfaces are USB 2. Also try Asioforall as a a driver. It fixes many issues for PC users. Manufacturers Asio drivers can be lacking sometimes.

#8307 Reply
    alicehive

Thank you guys for your input. I appareciate it very much. I did some research and as you say it could be related to many things. Tomorrow I will have Skype talk with an IT expert (who is also a DJ), if that doesn’t help I might start switching software and hardware components in order to figure out which one is the black sheep.

Yeah, apparently it’s USB 1.

Also, I do use Cubase 5. So it might have to do something with that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Audio Interface Problem?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us