Basic PRO Question

Home Forums PROs Basic PRO Question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I recently sold a track at PT for an extended “B” license. I am a member of BMI but my tracks are not registered there yet. Should I now go and register that track since it appears it will be used commercially? New to all this, thanks for any help,

Ken

#9718 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

@Ken. Yes absolutely.

#9727 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@woodsdenis. Thanks for your feedback. When registering the track at BMI it asks for a Publisher, do I enter PT or leave it blank as it’s a non-exclusive track?

#9728 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

@InLightTone I register my tracks in Ireland (IMRO). Over here if there is no assigned publisher, you do not enter one and the writer gets 100%.If there is a publisher assigned only they can register the track.

I think it is different in the States, Art/MichaelL could fill you in there.

In your scenario IF you do NOT have a publishing agreement with PT it should be left blank.

Personally I register all my tracks as I write them, any non ex publishing deals I have with libraries will append an identifier on the end of the title and then register them with their own PRO,usually ASCAP/BMI. Those appended track names will find their way back to IMRO with those publishers attached as separate entities.

#9730 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Ken
    First, does PT take the publisher’s share of PRO for tracks sold on their site? If they do, in theory they should register the track with a re-title such as the original title with a tag. However, the majority of RF site placements are not used in broadcast whereby they would earn PRO dollars. If they share in publishing, either you or PT should register it with PT as the publisher. What title was used on the sale? That’s the way the registration should read. You could contact them and ask how they handle this.

If PT does not take any publisher’s share then you want to register the track such that you collect both the writer’s and publisher’s share should there be any PRO revenue. Fortunately for you, with BMI, you can register yourself for both shares without having a publishing company. (ASCAP requires you have a publishing company). If you are unsure how to do this, contact BMI and they will help you.

Again, keep in mind that most RF placements do not earn PRO dollars.

Good luck!

#9731 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@InLightTone. Please, if you are submitting questions regarding a particular library leave questions and comments there.

Closing the thread as it really should be under the Productiontrax listing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Basic PRO Question
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us