Best way to copyright versions

Home Forums Copyright Questions Best way to copyright versions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I have read all the posts under copyright and about 75 others and was unable to find the answer to the following question.
    What is the best way to copyright alternative edits of a song?
    Through indecision and curiosity alone,by the time I finish a composition I have many versions I like.Different instrumentation as well as the standard :30 :60 :15 cutdowns etc. Should each one have its own copyright?
    Thanks in advance for your time,Franklin

#14220 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

If I were you, I would also copyright your edits, as you are not only protecting the song but the arrangement work you provide when you create edits

I copyright through France-Copyright (Berne convention on international copyright), by sending a zip file with all documents I wish to place under copyright. The zip file can be up to 128MB, well enough to place all edits of a same song in mp3 format and some extra files like lyrics, detailed content description, and scores etc… (be aware though that Photos and Films are not covered the Berne convention)

#14221 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Hi Franklin,

If you are registering your copyright in the US, Line 2 of Section 1, on Form SR (sound recordings), allows you to register alternate titles or list contents. You could register your title and then list the edits as contents under that title.

You may want to check that with the Copyright Office.
    http://www.copyright.gov/help/

_Michael

#14223 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks Edouardo and MichaelL for your advice. I have been copyrighting
    music for bands and myself as a solo artist for 20 years.Which was always simple. But it is quite different,at least it seems to me, when you are doing it for music licensing purposes. I wanted to get a perspective from experienced people in the business such as the two of you. Wanted to avoid potential headaches in the future. Your insights are greatly appreciated.
    Incidentally I am in the US and will proceed as suggested.
    Thanks again,Franklin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Best way to copyright versions
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us