Big fish audio

Home Forums Share It! Big fish audio

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    woodsdenis
    Participant

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/faqs.html

Have changed their license agreement so you can use their products for library music, with the exception of complete mixs of construction kits. Interesting.

#26751 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Perhaps they changed because they seem to be involved in creating production music now.

http://blogtrans.megatrax.com/new-megatrax-chart-topping-hits-turn-volume/

#26755 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

And yet……. I clicked on the FIRST collection on their website :

“This license does not allow you to include the samples, whether unmodified or as part of a derivative work, in any music library or sample library product. However, a “special use” license may be requested from Big Fish Audio, free of charge, if you wish to use this product as part of a musical work intended for use with music libraries (some conditions apply, and Big Fish Audio retains the right to refuse any request that does not meet those conditions). Any unlicensed usage will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.”

Can’t tell you how I’ve tried to jump thru their hoops before – only to be met with unanswered phone calls and/or emails. They do make some cool stuff, but I am no longer interested and will not entertain their goods any longer. They killed their own market.

#26757 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

I think all you had to do before was send them an email asking for a license to use the product you purchased in library music as long as construction kits aren’t used and as long as their stems were accompanied by others. I emailed them twice about a couple of products and received licenses right away.

On another forum Big Fish Audio posted this news and said you no longer need to permission for this. They also mentioned that this is currently only for their latest libraries and that they’re going back through all of their products (which is a lot) to make things uniform.

So it seems like a good thing but that it’s going to be a bit of a process to get everything changed over.

#26759 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Never used them because of this silliness, and I wasn’t in the market for construction kits ( which asi undertand the reasoning for ) just normal libraries. I did email them once and never got a reply. The boat has sailed on this I fear.

#26760 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Seems like they would be shooting themselves in the foot with this requirement and is the reason I’ve never tried them . And I’ve tried a lot of others trust me.

#26761 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

I know some have gotten replies via email, but I’ve never been successful with it – and I was even told the exact person to contact. Nothing. I just occasionally wanted a simple drum or bass loop or a brass hit or something simple to use in a densely layered composition – I’m not trying to buy a construction kit and remix and release it. Dumb. They are having deep discounted sales all over the place now. I think they finally figured it out, but for me it’s too little too late.

Like I mentioned, the very first product on their website has the same old crap in the license as they’ve always had. How long does it take to change the text on their website? A day? Two? Why the conflicting info if they are re-doing their license?

#26772 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

I quit dealing with them many years ago.
    Maybe they’re starting to realize they’re not seeing a lot of business they could have if it wasn’t for all these restrictions. Having to send emails every time I want to use their products was unnecessarily inconvenient for me. I don’t need that.
    I’m fine with the industry standard “you can’t use to make sample libraries or must be within a composition etc etc”. That’s Fair enough but I won’t deal with Big Fish until I no longer have to think about it beyond that.

#26783 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I just emailed them a few days ago to ask a pre-sales question – wanted to know if I bought a certain product would they provide a special use license. They responded in a reasonable amount of that that yes a SUL was available for that product. Didn’t mention any change in their agreement.

FWIW – I’ve never had a problem getting a SUL and never saw it as a barrier, but I don’t tend to buy construction kit format, more groupings of a single instrument. Then again, it will be nice not to have the extra step.

#26786 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

FWIW – I’ve never had a problem getting a SUL and never saw it as a barrier, but I don’t tend to buy construction kit format, more groupings of a single instrument. Then again, it will be nice not to have the extra step.

I don’t buy construction kits and I understand why they specifically would be included , my issue was that it included everything they did which is daft.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Reply #26755 in Big fish audio
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us