BMI decree battle email

Home Forums PROs BMI decree battle email

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

did anyone else get this email, if so can you fill me in, im clueless on what this is all about, supposed to be a big win for songwriters…thanks

#29075 Reply
    Paolo

@boinkeee2000 didn’t get that email but appreciate you bringing it to light. Did a few google searches to get a layman’s description of the issue and what the DOJ wanted and lost.

Full-works licensing, also known as 100 percent licensing, applies to songs with multiple writers where ownership is divided, also called a split work, or fractionalized licensing. The DOJ says that a music licensee, or music user such as a radio station, only needs to get a license from one of the rights owners to have a license to legally play the music, a stance that music users have long maintained is correct. Music publishers, on the other hand, contend that that they have always engaged in fractional licensing and that the music user must get a license from all owners of a song in order to play it

#29076 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I just saw something about the movie “Straight Outta Compton” where the music supervisor was explaining that to “clear” certain usages of songs with multiple writers; they had to be “creative” and ONLY use the portions of the songs that were able to be licensed..

#29081 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

thanks for the clarification paolo…i guess that wont affect me much as i dont have collab works atm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: BMI decree battle email
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us