BMI Distribution 9/14/2018

Home Forums PROs BMI Distribution 9/14/2018

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hope all you BMI writers had a decent payout with this last royalty statement. The number of pages in our statements are getting longer and longer (84 on this statement) while the income is slowly declining. While there are more and more opportunities for music, the royalties paid are less and less. Interestingly our International payments are now 50% of our total.

Hopefully the MMA in the U.S. will be passed and, coupled with EU copyright reform, better days will lie ahead!

So, how about you? Up, down or sideways?

#30816 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump

#30817 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Hey Art. I’d say kinda of an ebb and flow. I seem to have settled within a range. Feels like a stock that won’t break out and like you said, a couple more pages without any real noticeable pay increase. Seems the added pages are just enough to maintain the status quo.

#30818 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

Best so far for me 🙂

On the other hand,5 pages of Amazon hits yielded $8…
    Some of the other streaming sources weren’t that bad though (Apple Student).

Q: What exactly is the National Cable TV Association income? Nice to see it growing each September but there isn’t any info about where this money came from.

#30819 Reply
    Terrance

I think this was the first time that no royalty payment came in for me. Kind of weird, but I hope January yields some income again.

#30820 Reply
    KevinG
    Participant

I had 4 or 5 new placements on this one. It was my biggest check yet. International royalties were up, had one Network placement that made the check bigger. I’m happy.

#30821 Reply
    Happy Ears
    Participant

Mine was up a bit but still a good bit under what my royalties used to be before BMI changed the rules on how they pay on shows.

#30824 Reply
    guscave

One new Network placement and pages are up from 19 to 24 but like you, no major significance in increase of pay. I too seem to be stuck in a plateau that hasn’t increased much in the last 3 years although my production output has definitely increased.

#30830 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Yes 2018 is “in the books” for BMI – hard to believe.
    Positives:
    -Royalty income up nicely compared to last year
    -Growth happening year after year
    -Foreign royalties are starting to ramp up higher
    -I expect next year to top this year too
    Negatives:
    – Still feels like a low amount of royalty income based on the amount of tracks I’ve pumped into BMI over the last 3 to 4 years. I was expecting more for all of 2018
    – We’re getting .01 cent for Hulu and Amazon and Netflix – SAD!
    – It definitely seems like it’s impossible to earn a full time income from back end only
    – Statement pages get longer but it does seem like royalties get smaller.

It is what it is, and thankfully there are other ways to make money off of music cues beyond back end PRO royalties.

#30832 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Yes, the number of placements / pages are growing, (143 for me) and the dollars are plateaued. Better than last quarter, but not where they traditionally would / should have been. Even though BMI is making record income. Unless things change, I see backend PRO royalties as receding into a thing of the past over the next decade – as Netflix and the streaming crowd take over broadcasting.

#30851 Reply
    Paolo

it seems that with each BMI royalty quarter I’m seeing new channel(s). So the increase in sources (channels) and shows is keeping my numbers edging upwards.

Amazon VOD continues to be shockingly low ( ie: $4 for 500k views of a hit show) – so I’m going to start ignoring that section of my statements 🙂

#30931 Reply
    composer
    Participant

My experience is similar to many of your experiences. “Feels like a stock that won’t break out” is a good description. My income does always increase year over year, but not by a lot. My catalog seems to be growing faster than my income.
    I’m not seeing a decline in royalty payment per placement on network and cable. It’s still great to get network placements.
    Royalty payments for shows produced by Amazon and Netflix are in the range of some medium paying cable placements, not in the range of network placements.
    Yes, a few pages of Hulu pay in the low hundreds, etc. Amazon VOD placements with 300 or 4000 or 18,000 streams pay pennies. Amazon VOD placements with 500K-1M streams pay $10-25. I’m not sure how these numbers compare to royalties for a cable rerun seen by the same number of viewers. (Lower or much, much lower…)
    My overall Blanket payments have been down for a couple quarters but, like many things on these statements, I can’t figure out if that’s fluke or trend.
    Best of luck to all of you in this crazy business.

#30936 Reply
    BusterJones

My royalties have gone up, up, and up. Recently climbed into the 5 figure range.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Reply #30931 in BMI Distribution 9/14/2018
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us