BMI Payments 01-15-2016

Home Forums PROs BMI Payments 01-15-2016

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

BMI payments for 2015 2nd quarter are in and here’s hoping everyone’s payday met their expectations. We (Robin and I) seem to be going sideways the last few statements. It’s still decent but one always wants more! 😉

A couple of interesting things. Seems that The Cooking Channel (owned by the infamous Scripps https://musiclibraryreport.com/blog/composers-beware-of-hgtv-the-cooking-channel-food-network-diy-travel-channel-any-scripps-networks-shows/) is now paying up. The performance periods paid go back to 2012 2nd quarter. Laughable amounts of money but maybe there is finally hope on the Scripps front.

Video on demand is taking up a lot of statement pages, particularly Amazon, this quarter. Very small money wise though. My statement was 90 pages long and one would think it would account for more on the bottom line. Still, I am grateful and happy to get whatever we can. Once again it does point out what a numbers game this end of the business is!

#23765 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump

#23766 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I think we’ve settled into the “new normal.”

1) Spotify and Hulu are laughable. The same number of streams during the first week of January 2016, on RadioSparx, earned 8 times in a few days what Spotify paid for an entire quarter!

2) An important note: Several hundred dollars came from international use of 5 tracks that are 15 to 18 years old!!! The gift that keeps on giving! (These are regular library cues, not my TV themes)

Cheers,
    Michael

#23767 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

The same number of streams during the first week of January 2016, on RadioSparx, earned 8 times in a few days what Spotify paid for an entire quarter!

I agree, Radiosparx is looking good (particularly for Robin’s albums). I’ve got a couple more in the can to get out to AS.

Several hundred dollars came from international use

Yes, nice chunk came from international for us too.

#23773 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

This quarter was almost exactly the same as last quarter for me. Really thought it’d be looking up after doing this for 4 or 5 years. Made more off one library cd upfront than I did all 4 statements total last year. Guess it’s just part of music biz as a whole. Hope everyone else’s was better!

#23784 Reply
    kcentricity
    Participant

Payments have been down for about a 2-3 years after a HUGE spike back in 2012. I have also seen an increase in small sales from Hulu and Netflix. Older shows are now repeating internationally and that is where the bulk of my monies are coming from. I signed a few non-exclusive deals with a couple of libraries in 2015. I’m hoping that it will generate some new income that I will see by the end of the year. Fingers crossed!

#23788 Reply
    guscave

My payout this qtr was almost the same as the last two. Seems I’ve come up against a wall when it comes to TV royalties. I do see however an increase in VOD payments. If this trend continues, VOD might over-take my TV royalties.

And yes Radiosparxs is definitely paying better than Hulu and Netflix.

#23790 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

This payout was one of the best for me in the few years that I have been receiving PRO payments.

#23793 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

My ASCAP was my 2nd highest ever and was 4 figures (rare for me). About $500 of it was from a single cue that was placed in over 30 episodes on Telemundo (show called Un Nuevo Dia). Each placement ran from 2:00 to 7:00 long with total run time of over 2 hours. Without that track I would have been at or below average for domestic royalties. I’m hoping this will pad my international statements later this year..

That’s good to know about the cooking channel, I mentioned elsewhere that I have had a couple of cue sheets filed for the travel channel too. It’s too soon for payouts yet.

#23794 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Congrats Alan and GaryW!

Ah those Telemundo placements. I seem to have the hardest time getting paid for them.

#23803 Reply
    composer
    Participant

Amazon VOD was new. Several pages of very small payments. I wish Netflix could show the number of streams/downloads like Hulu and Amazon.

My international royalties were pretty good. This is what I would go back and tell myself 5 years ago about international: Many placements generate nothing internationally. For other placements it takes a while for the international royalties to show up, but then some placements generate international royalties quarter after quarter for years. Sometimes the payments are very small, sometimes not.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: BMI Payments 01-15-2016
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us