BMI royalties

Home Forums General Questions BMI royalties

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    music_pro
    Participant

Hey guys and girls, just got my BMI statement for the 4 quarter of 2012, here are the results:

10 hours/600 minutes of TV air time, 1500 placements, 350 episodes, 40 TV networks in 3 months = 12,800$ in royalties.

All is non-exclusive background instrumental cues, what do you think? Isn’t it too low?
    I have 370 cues in my catalog.

#10507 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Congrats, that’s a nice take. Mine dropped from about $11k last qtr to $6k this qtr. Bummer. 🙁

#10509 Reply
    music_pro
    Participant

Thanks. Sorry to hear that Art. Royalties is some kind of a lottery, and a low paying one. We are in the mercy of Music sups, editors etc.
    The market is getting flooded with new music every day from composers around the world, royalty rates is going down and now this all exclusive-non-exclusive thing.

#10510 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I am with ASCAP and I got my domestic publisher’s check today. Not awesome but money is money.

Wow, you guys are doing very well compared to my royalty checks!

#10511 Reply
    Blind
    Participant

I’m with ASCAP and the publisher statements came out today, but the writer statements come out in a couple of weeks. With BMI do writer and publisher statements happen on the same day? Just curious…

#10512 Reply
    music_pro
    Participant

Yes Blind.

#10513 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I am still jealous of Art and music pro. :-0

They made great money in my opinion. Congrats!

#10514 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@music pro…don’t know if it’s “too little,” but what stands out is that it averages $8.53 per placement.

#10515 Reply
    music_pro
    Participant

Desire_Inspires, its ASCAP, not you…just kidding 🙂

How many tracks you have in your catalog?

By the way, I think its pennies compered to what I know some good library composers make (100-150K range a year).

#10516 Reply
    music_pro
    Participant

You right MichaelL, a lot is cable and a few syndicated shows. I wish I had more CBS/NBC/ABC type of placements.

#10517 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Desire_Inspires, its ASCAP, not you…just kidding 🙂

How many tracks you have in your catalog

I have a few hundred tracks in various libraries. I have music placed in over 50 shows. I see that my royalties are growing and growing. But no exponential growth yet.

I get writer’s share in a few weeks. Hopefully that payment will put me close to what you are Art are making. Thankfully, I still have a day job.

#10518 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I was expecting the drop as I noticed that quarter’s (2012 Q4) placements had dropped according to Tunesat. It seems to have picked up the following quarter so fingers crossed!

#10520 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

Do you know how much of that is from overseas royalties?

Well done by the way!

#10522 Reply
    music_pro
    Participant

Thanks Tbone. International was only 630$.

#10523 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

My International was about the same.

The good news in that reconciling my BMI and Tunesat it looks like some major network placements are missing on my last statement. Time to track those down.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
Reply To: BMI royalties
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us