BMI royalties

Home Forums General Questions BMI royalties

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    music_pro
    Participant

Good luck Art, although sometime they fill out cue sheets late.
    I received a royalties from Sundance channel about a year and a half to two years after broadcast! By the way, not worth the waiting 🙂

#10532 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@music_pro: Actually one was for CBS’s “Let’s Make A Deal”. The company that files the cue sheets has been late before. Thankfully I get it the next quarter and it’s well worth waiting for.

#10534 Reply
    music_pro
    Participant

Yes, I know that company. Got stuff on the same show before, in did worth it.

#10829 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I just got my ASCAP payout today. I am not a happy camper. My royalties have dropped. I don’t understand why either. I have music in more shows.

Bummer. 🙁

#10830 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

I was very pleased with my ASCAP quarter. One of my best ever.

D_I, you know the formulas vary widely according to which network, time of day, etc. So one play in prime time last quarter on a decent paying network could trump 20 plays on a smaller network in the middle of the night. Just keeping feeding the flames and they will grow.

#10831 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Just keeping feeding the flames and they will grow.

@Advice
    , Thank you for the encouragement!

My last quarter statement was a step in the right direction. I have experienced steady growth for the most part until now. I guess I will have to wait it out another 3 months for royalties to pick up.

Congrats on your successful quarter.

#10873 Reply
    bigg rome

Mine seem to drop as well this quarter,(ascap), but all the free promos and networks that don’t pay are constantly being used. I see them playing more than the stations that suppose to pay now. It is upside down. These companies are getting away with this mess. We have to speak up about this.

Are we are gonna constanstly kept getting screwed while these licensing companies laugh at us all day on social media, smiling and living it up in LA, while we do nothing. SPEAK UP PEOPLE!

#10874 Reply
    More advice

@Big Romme…Yes hearing your music on a promo for USA network, or NBC and not getting compensated is wrong, humiliating, frustrating, etc. I had a track running and running and running on radio and TV promoting USA Network and NEVER received a dime and the Library said “Sorry, we do give tracks away as loss leaders at times to make in-roads and gain new clients.” I don’t like it any more than you…I complained relentlessly to the owners on the phone and through e-mails and they basically said “See our remove music policy if you don’t like it.”

My ASCAP royalties fortunately went up this pay period. My BMI royalties declined. There is no rhyme or reason to any of this and from my perspective success in the music cue business is all based on:

1. luck
    2. having a lot of high quality tracks on the market and in libraries with clients.
    3. The tastes of editors editing shows and what music tracks they chose to use….this kind of goes back to point 1…luck…
    4. The accuracy of cue sheets getting filed.
    5. The honesty of the library owners.

We are basically powerless in the industry of music for TV and PRO royalties.

#10875 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

In answer to bigg rome: no, I certainly am not going to sit back and let the libraries do that with my music. This is why Art’s site is so great. For example: I will not send any of my music to JP now I’ve read others’ experiences with them. A few hundred more composers making these decisions… who knows what could happen.

#10881 Reply
    bigg rome

the Library said “Sorry, we do give tracks away as loss leaders at times to make in-roads and gain new clients

Then they should give away their “in house producers” tracks. This excuse is old Now. They should let their “OWN” personal library, be the tracks that is given away for free. If we never come together on this mess, This industry will not be fixed. People need to speak out at the conferences and other venues to bring this thing to the head. Enough is Enough.

I don’t see how composers can keep letting this go on. While they sit their taking “Instagram pictures” showing how cool they are, and how much fun in L.A. they are having // giving our tracks away for FREE!

I’m serious the “free tracks” are starting to out do the paid placements.
    TuneSat is picking them up left and right.

#10882 Reply
    bigg rome

“We are basically powerless in the industry of music for TV and PRO royalties.” –

This is incorrect. We are powerful, It is more us than them.
    The problem is no one wants to speak about and spread the word on the internet about the companies that are doing it./

Once word get around about the companies, to save face, they will have to stop that mess. Cause their rep is on the line.

This is easy to figure out. If Art would let this topics be for the free section. These kind of concerns so people can see it, then that is how the word spread. Don’t ever tell your self we are powerless. We have more power than you realize. We have the power to make this companies loss that free music and another company who is upright come along and win.

Good Music Supervisors do not want to associate with companies that are screwing composers. I met alot of “music sups” who are really composer- friendly. That is why on a panel of top ones..they go against the pay to play sites. (like the car company), cause they know it is wrong.

We need to get this done. Art has the created a platform to bring awareness, but it needs to be a “collective” effort.

Otherwise they are keep saying , ‘if you don;t like go’… cause they feel they got power. NO WE HAVE THAT POWER!

#10943 Reply
    bigg rome

FauxMusicSupe: If you GIVE your music away for free, to a company with SALARIED composers, your music will be treated with the value in which it was paid.

This is a great quote

#10946 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

FauxMusicSupe: If you GIVE your music away for free, to a company with SALARIED composers, your music will be treated with the value in which it was paid.

This business model is a train that a lot of people willingly jumped in front of, when many knowledgable people said “don’t do it.”
    Granted, they changed the rules of the game midstream, but you really didn’t need a crystal ball to see that coming either.

There is no rhyme or reason to any of this and from my perspective success in the music cue business is all based on:

1. luck
    2. having a lot of high quality tracks on the market and in libraries with clients.
    3. The tastes of editors editing shows and what music tracks they chose to use….this kind of goes back to point 1…luck…
    4. The accuracy of cue sheets getting filed.
    5. The honesty of the library owners.

#2 is probably the most important.

If you do not have, and cannot develop, a large catalog this business is just an expensive hobby.

_MichaelL

#10947 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

This business model is a train that a lot of people willingly jumped in front of, when many knowledgable people said “don’t do it.”
    Granted, they changed the rules of the game midstream, but you really didn’t need a crystal ball to see that coming either.

Pretty much.

#10974 Reply
    bigg rome

I just put int my resignation with three of these companies.
    You already know who they are and don’t feel bad about it. I am gonna make my own destiny.I am done dealing with all these composer robbing companies.

My music won’t be on anymore damn promos/networks unless they paying…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
Reply To: BMI royalties
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us