BMI Royalty Question

Home Forums General Questions BMI Royalty Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    scottcampbellmusic
    Participant

I was poking through my modest BMI catalog and noticed a line:

American Idol Cues – 1223 1224

I am less than a year into my career and this is my first ‘Cue Sheet’ listed on a BMI statement, everything else is a work, and has a ‘work number’

Does this mean they used a portion of a cue for a couple episodes?

If that’s the case, any ideas as to what that would pay? I’m assuming it’s a good thing, but, like I said, this is probably my first placement on a major production..

Any insight would be awesome! Thanks!

#11054 Reply
    Darrel

I’m a little confused. Your royalty statement should list the specific cue that was used on the show, including how many seconds it was used. It should also show how much you were paid for that cue by Fox (listed under 3 sections: Fox Superstations, Fox Blanket, and Fox Local). All of this should be on your statement if your cues were used. If not, they were probably not used.
    As far as payment, that depends on how your cues are registered. Assuming you’re talking about background cues, if you get 200%, expect avg $4-5 per second.
    Hope that helps!

#11055 Reply
    scottcampbellmusic
    Participant

Darrel: Thanks for the info! I’m not looking at my statement, but rather my ‘Works Catalog’ online in the BMI system. The cue title is listed and it was registered last month, so I won’t see it on a statement for awhile, but, does the fact that they registered it mean it was used? Otherwise, why would they spend the resources doing it?

Either way, hopefully I’ll be able to snag a couple shekels 🙂 At very least, I’ve got enough circumstantial evidence to include it in my credits list 😉

Thanks again!

#11056 Reply
    Darrel

Works catalog is a different story! Good chance your music was used in a couple of episodes. You will see it in your September statement if it was used before April. Are you published thru [removed by moderator]? That’s who they used last season.
    I checked out your demo reel- good stuff!! Not surprised they used your cues. Great feel-good cues for contestant packages!!

#11058 Reply
    scottcampbellmusic
    Participant

Cool! Good stuff!

Yeah, I’m only 8 months into this industry so picking up bits and pieces of info along the way… Working my butt off though, as I’ve heard that’s what needs to happen to make things happen..

Not with [removed by moderator]. I don’t even see a way in there, will have to look 🙂

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate the feedback.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: BMI Royalty Question
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us