BMI TV Royalties Down?

Home Forums General Questions BMI TV Royalties Down?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    rkmusic1
    Participant

I’ve seen about a 25% drop in my BMI Network/Cable/Internet Television royalties over the last two statements. Pretty shocking considering they’ve been relatively stable for years and years. A few other composers I’ve talked to have seen the same drop. I’m wondering if other BMI composers can concur that they too have seen lower statements? I’m trying to answer what is causing this, is it BMI’s new for-profit business model? Declining ad revenue hence smaller BMI pie? Any other ideas?

#41878 Reply
    pglover
    Participant

My last statement increased around 15%
    I personally do not try and figure out causes for changes. There are too many factors involved and most out of my control.
    My thought process is just keep creating. Keep submitting. Enjoy the process of writing.
    It will work out how it works out.

#41882 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Mine were up from last statement but down from the statement before that. My first quarter payments always pay the most.

#41890 Reply
    Frequencee
    Participant

I have seen a drop in Cable/Network but an increase in Internet Audio, Internet Visual as well as International Royalties have steadily increased the past year or so, so its helped to balance out. My best payouts seem to be for 1st quarter (which get paid in Aug now) but I have been comparing each payout to the same time prior year or even same time two years ago the +/- % has been nominal.

#41969 Reply
    composer
    Participant

Long term trend is still gradually upward as I continue to sign more tracks. Up and down in the short term. I agree that the number of factors involved makes it challenging to assess what’s going on. I also agree that 1Q statements are generally the highest, although not dramatically so.

#42027 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

My last statement was an all time high! International earnings are now more than US.

#42028 Reply
    Douglas Garnett

More and more publishers for sync are converting over to subscriptions for their clients which brings overall revenue down considerably. I know two publishers that I could count on have crashed my income to the point where I am starting up my own publishing. It might make sense for the companies involved, but definitely not in the artists favor.

#42034 Reply
    jdstamper
    Participant

Like daveydad, all time high for me, and international was more than U.S.

#42675 Reply
    Dieter Hartmann

Yes, my royalties have dropped almost 50% since BMI went for-profit.
    This is highly suspicious and has been happening for many of my fellow composers. For years the payouts were fairly consistent so it seems odd.
    Not sure but it’s definitely worry some.

#42677 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Down 15% from last quarter but still a good quarter for me.

#42678 Reply
    jdstamper
    Participant

It was a disappointing quarter for me, way different from last quarter.

#42679 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Here’s the state of BMI royalties for me. Down about 40% from 4th quarter 2012. 2012 number of pages 34. 2022 number of pages 118!

#42681 Reply
    Frequencee
    Participant

Down about 10% from the last quarter (Q3_2022). Comparing year over year (Q4_2021 vs. Q4_2022) it’s flat but the overall trend continues i.e. US Cable/Network is decreasing whereas International seems to be increasing.

Overall not many 3-figure & above surprise payments that I’d see in year’s past. Just a lot of pennies, dollars & 10’s of dollars adding up.

#42692 Reply
    composer
    Participant

Year over year my business is doing OK, but 4Q22 was the worst quarter in a while, especially US royalties. But like Art said, the number of pages (115!) keeps increasing impressively.

#42695 Reply
    reds
    Participant

I was curious about how many placements there are on one statement page. 5 10 15 etc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Reply To: Reply #42034 in BMI TV Royalties Down?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us