Books and/or classes to learn more about the biz

Home Forums General Questions Books and/or classes to learn more about the biz

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    angopop
    Participant

Hello, and Happy New Year.

I feel like I need to learn more about the business side of what we all do here … I feel like I should know more about, specifically: copyright, publishing, understanding contracts, etc…

My day job offers me continuing education, and I could get a Masters Degree in Entertainment Business from a certain large Florida institution, which I’m mulling over. The thing is, I don’t need a degree, and am wary of the time it will take away from music — I only want the knowledge.

My question to you guys is, what books would you recommend to learn more about these topics, or websites, or perhaps some courses (online or physical — I’m in the Los Angeles area).

Thanks

(A couple of the books I’ve had recommended are:

All You Need to Know About the Music Business Hardcover by Donald S. Passman

This Business of Music by M. William Krasilovsky)

#14320 Reply
    patrick
    Participant

I would second getting “All You Need to Know About the Music Business” by Donald S. Passman. It is a great book that covers all the basics and is written in an easy to read style. I would also recommend as a general reference to film/tv music the book “On the Track” by Fred Karlin and Rayburn Wright. This isn’t specifically geared towards copyright, publishing, etc, but is a wonderful resource on the art, craft, and business of film music.

Best

#14322 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

My shelf has Passman’s book and the Brabec’s “Music Money and Success”.

#14324 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

My shelf has Passman’s book and the Brabec’s “Music Money and Success”.

+1 Michael. I have both as well as

your PDF: The Independent Artists Guide to Pricing Music

And
    Emmett Cooke’s: The Business of Music Licensing

#14326 Reply
    yzzman1
    Participant

Both of the books you mentioned are fantastic. They are also quite different from each other which I find to be a great thing. I’ve been through both several times and still consider them top level reading material. Another book I like a lot is “Hitmen” by Frederic Dannen. Talks about a lot of the scandals that have gone down in the music business over the past 50 or so years. Good knowledge to have.

As for the music library business though – there’s so much information on THIS site.

#14354 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Thanks all … I’ve got some new reading material coming….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #14326 in Books and/or classes to learn more about the biz
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us