Brassed Off

Home Forums Share It! Brassed Off

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I was listening to NPR the other day and there was an interview about Britain’s colliery brass bands. These were brass bands formed by coal miners in Britain. They also mentioned the movie “Brassed Off”. I had never heard of any of this and saw the movie last night (love Netflix!). Personally, I love all kinds of music and this was a real treat. Amazing playing by the Grimethorpe Colliery Band. The plot is based on Grimethorpe’s own struggles against pit closures.

I’m sure our Brit composer friends will set me straight if I didn’t my explanation right but check out these YouTube videos.

#10457 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Awesome movie!

#10458 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

and in real life !!!

#10467 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Wow, Great players! Thanks Denis.

#10476 Reply
    Keith
    Participant

Brass is still being taught in my childrens schools, We live in the north of England. My little girl has just played her first concert (Trumpet), the teacher brought back a young man she had taught from the age of eight who was now a professional musician, playing in a quintet, he came back to Liverpool with his band and worked with the school kids and then performed with them… so inspirational for the children.

Art, our explanation is correct, the brass bands are still going strong in the North of England, just not so many of them now, but what a sound they make!

#10524 Reply
    trumpoz
    Participant

I used to be involved with the brass band movement in Australia (Melbourne) playing in the Kew Band which got up to a ranking of 60ish t one stage (now 85).

The current top 10 bands are just incredible – there are stories of people making a tiny mistake in a major competition and being sacked as the band walks off the stage. As a side note 8 of the top 10 are from the northern areas.

My favourite has always been Black Dyke Mills Band.

#10525 Reply
    trumpoz
    Participant

And below is is one of my very favourite pieces for brass band. Played by Fodens……. the crazy thing is that a band of this quality will put it together is a couple of weeks!

#10528 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks trumpoz, great stuff!

#10530 Reply
    trumpoz
    Participant

if you search for pieces such as:

The Year of the Dragon
    Music of the Shperes
    Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Derek Bourgois)
    Extreme Makeover
    St Magnus
    Vistas
    Contest Music
    Tristan Encounters
    On the Shoulders of Giants

there is some fantastic music

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Brassed Off
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us