Software Recommendations – Mark Petrie?!

Home Forums Software Software Recommendations – Mark Petrie?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Luca
    Participant

Does Mark Petrie wrote here? Sorry for this fanboy thread 😀 but that man is awesome! I discovered him on youtube and I compare his work to Two Steps From Hell and other epic artists.

I’d like to ask him and you all, of course, what are your favourite sample libraries (strings, brass, drums etc.)

So far I’ve used the basic silver edition Orchestra by East West and I’m going to upgrade it with other libs.
    I have already bought Cinebrass by Cinesamples. It sounds good but I still have to learn how to automate it to make it sound realistic.

#12982 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Don’t yet do orchestral but am betting you are going to see a lot of love for LA Scoring Strings and Hollywood Strings.

Drums for orchestral? Don’t know that either but for pop and rock, etc, I’m a big fan of Addictive Drums and all the libraries. Also Stylus RMX. But I own these so…… And yes Mark’s stuff is REALLY good.

#12983 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I use the following:

LA Scoring Strings (FULL + Sordino)
    Symphobia
    Project Sam Orchestral Brass Classic
    Project Sam True Strike Percussion
    Cinesamples Cinebrass Core
    Cinesamples CineOrch
    Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
    CineSamples Drums of War
    Cinesamples CineToms
    Cinesamples CineHarp
    East West Quantum Leap SO Platinum Pro
    East West SD2
    East West Symphonic Choir
    East West VOP
    8dio Epic Frame Drums
    Orchestral Tools Orchestral String Runs
    Nine Volt TAIKO 2
    Omnisphere
    Zebra
    Evolve
    Evolve Mutations
    Evolve Mutations 2
    Tarilonte Era Medieval Legends
    Tarilonte Forest Kingdom

That’s just modern/hybrid orchestral. I use other libraries for more
    period / classical sounds like:

Vienna Instruments and Soniccoutoure.

Pop, rock, jazz, world…completely different libraries.

Happy shopping.

Michael

#12984 Reply
    Luca
    Participant

MichaelL, it’s good to see that you’re using Eduardo Tarilonte stuff. I think I’ll purchase something from him in the future. Nice set of instruments, by the way!

#12985 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Thanks Luca.

Yes, Eduardo has some very nice sample libraries! I use his accordion library for ethnic and quirky stuff. I have Whistler for pop and quirky stuff.

#12986 Reply
    Sean Clark

Here is a recent thread that has some info related to your question.

https://musiclibraryreport.com/forums/topic/sample-library-suggestions/

#12987 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Thanks guys 🙂

Michael has some awesome sounds, I don’t have all those. Thanks for the shopping list!

I tried using Hollywood Strings and Brass, but even with a ton of RAM (40GB) and SSDs, I can’t incorporate them into a session with anything more than a few tracks. Real shame, the samples are awesome. I might go the VEPro route next year, so I’m hoping they’ll work ok on a dedicated slave computer.

I love 8Dio’s stuff, I have all the Adagio sounds. Kontakt for the most part is much more efficient in terms of processor use and RAM, than Play.

For hybrid sounds you can’t go wrong with Project Alpha.

#12988 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Michael has some awesome sounds, I don’t have all those. Thanks for the shopping list!

Thanks Mark. I think I’ve put the cart before the horse. Like you, I’ve accumulated a lot of cues that I’m going to re-cut for RF libraries. I wanted to have everything in the “toolkit” at my fingertips, when I start.

I try to buy things on sale, often for a specific cue that I know is in my catalog. The current Orange Tree group buy is a great opportunity.

I use VEPro with a slave. Piece of cake. You’ll love it. Any questions, send me an email.

Cheers,

Michael

#12990 Reply
    Luca
    Participant

Thanks for your replies, guys 😉
    Adagio Violas sound great and Project Alpha is now on my wishlist 😉

#12993 Reply
    SCP
    Participant

Loosely on this thread, can anyone suggest a good glockenspiel/vibraphone/mallets sounds. I know some orchestral collections include but I haven’t found anything I’m happy with it. Thanks.

#12994 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Is there a thread anywhere else here for ear recommendations. Specifically right now, looking for a good realistic mandolin VI.

Never mind saw Shaun recommending this thread further up.

Sample Library Suggestions

#12995 Reply
    AaronM

Michael, do you use these programs simultaneously as plug-ns in Pro tools or another DAW or as separate standalone applications with audio export options? Thanks!

#12997 Reply
    Musicmatters
    Participant

Can anyone here comment on the Project SAM Orchestral essentials. Does it provide you with a good basic set of SAM sounds? I use EWQL Gold and LASS lite. I was hoping for a complimentary set of sounds that i could blend with my other libraries, thanks.

#12998 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Okay, this thread has turned into software recommendations so I’m changing the title and moving to the Software forum.

BTW thinking of getting Broadway Lites (funk horns) http://www.fablesounds.com/. Demo sounds pretty good. Anyone using?

#13002 Reply
    Luca
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Software Recommendations – Mark Petrie?!
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us