Software Recommendations – Mark Petrie?!

Home Forums Software Software Recommendations – Mark Petrie?!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

Michael, do you use these programs simultaneously as plug-ns in Pro tools or another DAW or as separate standalone applications with audio export options? Thanks!

@Aaron
    …my main DAW is Digital Performer 8. I’ve used Performer since its inception in the 1980’s. I have Logic, but don’t use it. I never felt compelled to switch to Pro Tools, but have thought about sequencing with DP on the front end and using PT for mixing.

Even though DP8 is 64 bit, I still use VEPro to host my sample libraries, outside of DP. That way I can set up templates outside DP projects (big time saver), and spread things out for best use of cores and RAM.

I use VEPro to connect my main Mac (12 core/24GB RAM) with a second Mac 4 Core (16GB RAM). The second computer holds all of my East West libraries EWQLSO, Symphonic Choirs, Silk, RA, Gypsy, SD2, MOR, VOP and Goliath. I have a Kontakt license on the machine too, for odds and ends. All other libraries, I keep on my main computer (4 internal 2 GB drives). I use Maschine as a standalone and a plug.

I do host FX plugs in DP, but often use them in VEPpro too.
    When doing orchestral cues I work in groups and send FX to three aux tracks one dry, one for early reflections and one for tail.

Before VEPro, I used Bidule in DP with ReWire. Very cool program, but I love VEPro’s mixing environment, and the ability to link computers. Sometimes I record in DP and mix in VEPro.

I hope that’s what you’re looking for.

Cheers,
    Michael

#13005 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@ Art, yes I have Broadway Lites. Great samples at a fraction of the cost of the full Broadway Big Band Library. very much geared, as it suggests to that “show tune” kind of sound. If you want to create amazing big band jazz stuff that over the top, don;t have it but would be on my whish list…http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/index.php

@Luca Highly recommend Impact Soundworks. Love resonance mallets.

#13006 Reply
    AaronM

@Michael, thank you very much for the insight. Having read through all of the newbie info and then some, I’ve found many of your posts to be VERY helpful along with some of the others. My brothers have been using digital performer for years and I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. I’ve actually been using propeller heads reason for several years now and it’s great for a sequencing with a host of samples, many of which however aren’t very good so I have to be very picky and selective. Hence the reason I’m looking into some of these recommendations. I wonder if I could still use it for writing and sequencing and then export the midi to be used in some of these sample libraries you’ve mentioned. Do most of them work that way? For mixing, I had been using pro tools for a few years and then somehow I got sucked into reaper which has been great in terms of functionality and energy saving.

Thanks again for the insight,
    Aaron

#13007 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks MichaelL. I was aware of http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/index.php but forgot about them.

@ Art, yes I have Broadway Lites. Great samples at a fraction of the cost of the full Broadway Big Band Library. very much geared, as it suggests to that “show tune” kind of sound.

From what I heard you can get more than just a “show tune” sound. I liked the funky/jazzy pieces they demoed.

So much software to contemplate!

#13008 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@Art. Yes, I’ve used BBB Lites on funky cues. The saxes work very well.
    I’d definitely prefer the sound BBB to NI’s Session Horns, and even Chris Hein’s Horns. Sometimes blending different libraries can cover the weaknesses in their respective flaws…consider getting two.

Most bang for the buck trumpet: http://embertone.com/instruments/chapman-trumpet.php

@ Aaron, I don’t use Reason, so I can’t offer an opinion. I’ve a friend who loves Reason and uses DP. I’ll ask how he uses them together.

and…thanks for the kind words.

#13011 Reply
    SCP
    Participant

These sound really good..thanks!

#13012 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’d definitely prefer the sound BBB to NI’s Session Horns,

Agreed, I have session horn and it takes a lot of work to make them passable. Still, I got them by a library that’s very fussy with horns.

#13013 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Agreed, I have session horn and it takes a lot of work to make them passable. Still, I got them by a library that’s very fussy with horns.

I’m beyond fussy with horns. I’ve loved the sound of brass since I was a little kid. I was writing horn charts when I was 12, and I always use top players for live sessions. Unless you’re in a hurry, BBB lites is on sale once in a while…usually at a pretty good discount.

If you really want to get into pop arranging for brass and other instruments this is a standard: http://www.amazon.com/The-Contemporary-Arranger-Definitive-Edition/dp/0882840320

Oh man, I can’t wait to get back to work!!!!! Soon. 😀

Cheers,

Michael

#13015 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I always use top players for live sessions.

Me too, when I have a budget. I recently ran across a great horn section that was playing in a funk/New Orleans band up here. All L.A. players, they gave me a great price and cover all the brass and reeds. In the back of my mind to do a funk/New Orleans album.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Software Recommendations – Mark Petrie?!
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us