Changing Trends in Micro/Major Sales

Home Forums General Questions Changing Trends in Micro/Major Sales

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    LAwriter
    Participant

Welcome to the real world. It’s challenging. incredibly complex, ever changing, crazy, and the pie is getting smaller every day – with the competition growing exponentially. “Top 40 Pop” is for sure one of the top few categories of songs that have the most competition. You’ve got to be incredibly different, and compelling. And yeah, unless you have thousands of songs, it’s going to be a very long haul. 2500 and counting here, and I feel kind of like I’m barely getting into it….. How long will it take you to clear 1000 minimum? That’s a starting place in this market IMO. (Didn’t always used to be that way……). And yeah, those of us with a head start and thousands of placements already earning money have a huge advantage. Best of luck. Think outside the box and never give up. That’s the only answer I can give you. Every path is different. No one wants to hear that, but it’s 100% true.

PS – a vocal song has the “potential” to earn more than an instrumental – with the exception that there are about 500-1000 + instrumental placements for every vocal placement. 🙂

#38008 Reply
    Kery Michael

This thread sure is an interesting read. Especially after watching some of Jeff Price’s YT videos on copyrights. Excellent videos on the nitty gritty. Which helps but I’m still hazy on details.

Maybe a noob question, but is signing an exclusive, in-perpetuity contract the same as giving up the copyright? I understand that you certainly lose control of the track at that point. As in for the rest of one’s life they could never choose to doing anything else with that track.

What about exclusive with reversion clause? I would think that’s always the better option, right? Only temporarily giving up control.

Whenever a composer goes through a publisher, then they’re always going to take some piece of the master or publishing/composition? The only way to retain 100% would be to do direct licensing?

I guess I’m a little confused about the ability to retain 100% of copyright and control.

#38009 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Kery, when you sell/ license your music on direct license sites you are the author and owner of the sound recordings and the site is just acing as “broker” of the transaction. If you sell a sync license, the broker takes a cut of the transaction.

If you sign with music publishers who feed TV shows there are many options out there:
    Exclusive in perpetuity– You can only deal the track with this one publisher, forever, and generally you are transferring the master ownership over to them.
    Exclusive for a period of time with a reversion clause – You can only deal the track with this one publisher, but after say 2 to 5 years, you can also remove your music from the library
    Non Exclusive in perpetuity – You can license your music on this platform, but also on other platforms, BUT you grant this publisher NE perpetual rights to deal the track, you can not ever remove the track from their library
    Non Exclusive – you can sell on this platform and others and generally speaking you can remove your property from the platform or library whenever you want to, for any reason whatsoever.

#38028 Reply
    RobertJ6401
    Participant

I think the thread got off track here. I would like to return to that. I know that vocal song placements are quite less numerical than instrumentals. Do you need 2000 vocal songs or is it a different rule? I think you definitely need a niche and that niche has to be what film makers are looking for. I think too many artists are just making music of what they want thinking that it will sell. Customizing music to fit a certain mood will come more in handy and will narrow the vast competition a bit. The other thing that needs to be done is to have your music properly assessed. If it is mediocre and you think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, it will take you awhile to figure out why you aren’t getting any placements. Any further thoughts?

#38029 Reply
    Pat

Admittedly, maybe it’s just me but returning to the original thread is about “changing” trends in sales right? so I’m not quite able to connect what you are saying with what is actually changing. What you are saying seems very general but not about changes in the state of things unless I’m just not getting it. Maybe you can clarify what you think is a changing trend.

#38030 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

If it is mediocre and you think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread

“Mediocre” is in the ear of the person/client listening and I don’t think that is a valid way to judge music. One person’s trash can be another person’s treasure.

#38031 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

I agree with Art. No matter what you do, somebody determines it as being whatever their ears and taste tells them. You can’t control subjectivity. I’m also not sure what you meant by having your “properly assessed”. You write it, you assess it based on your own standards and the client assesses it further based on theirs. But again, that’s not new and that’s not really a changing trend in Micro/Major Sales.

#38032 Reply
    RobertJ6401
    Participant

““Mediocre” is in the ear of the person/client listening and I don’t think that is a valid way to judge music. One person’s trash can be another person’s treasure.”
    You have a point. Music is subjective to whoever is listening. I probably should not have gone further than that…lol

#38033 Reply
    RobertJ6401
    Participant

Pat
    I was responding to LA Writer at the top of the page. I thought it was the original post and I didn’t realize there were four previous pages.

#38034 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Ahh, ok, that makes perfect sense. I was perplexed by your posts as you can tell but that explains it. Thanks for clarifying.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
Reply To: Changing Trends in Micro/Major Sales
Your information: