Chasing after the YOUTUBE Music Buyers – Is it worth our time?

Home Forums Commentary Chasing after the YOUTUBE Music Buyers – Is it worth our time?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Music1234
    Participant

Does anyone have any idea about the potential size of the “youtuber” music licensing crowd?

It just seems like there is so much attention being given to people (Music licensing customers) who do not have any money in the first place for music licensing. Here is what I am observing: Sure there are a lot of video content creators out there world wide that need music to enhance their YT videos, but is the music licensing industry putting too much emphasis on this market and creating race to the bottom phase 2, just to grab customers who really don’t have much of a budget in the first place?

How do we stop the YOUTUBE scene from dragging prices down too far when professional corporate clients (who have tons of money) are not at all asking for cheaper licensing options, but in many cases are getting just that because everyone seems to be chasing after customers who don’t have much to spend in the first place?

I guess what I am saying is that the “I don’t have any money for music crowd” is increasingly getting way too much of everyone’s focus and driving prices down because so many licensing models are focusing on that low end YT market with all you can download, for 1 cheap annual fee pricing model?

Will the youtube music buyers spoil our music licensing party once and for all the way Napster brought down the entire music industry to FREE?

Why are they even getting our attention and sympathy when we have a massive professional corporate market willing to spend real money on music licenses made for professional visual media?

When I see a music licensing model that states for $200 download everything, use it for whatever you want in perpetuity, as often as you like, etc…Well…I am just speechless. Professional video makers are not asking for this.

Look forward to everyone’s thoughts on this increasingly disturbing trend.

#30829 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Personally, after seeing that there is basically no future in chasing after small change. I am not putting any further energies, and music towards these “desperate models”. I am only interested in Libraries/Catalogs that have great relationships with “reputable networks, branding, and people with actual budgets”.

I’m with some heavy-weights, and there is no further need to chase “Catfish, and other bottom dwellers”.

Production Music Lifer’s, I am grateful to you. You are setting a standard, and it is now the time to uphold it. Don’t compromise. Make the best quality music you know how, build your track record, and go after the top libraries. I’m spoiled by the attention, quality of service, and their commitment to higher standards. I refuse to go backwards.

#30831 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

I am actually surprised to hear that there IS a market for music + YouTube videos at this point.
    YouTube has its own free music library and I’ve seen a few popular youtubers using one particular composer that puts his tracks out there for free. Regardless of track quality, the video producer has their needs met without a purchase.

Why would they pay for music at all?

#30834 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Make music that cannot be created by loops and one finger sequences, then race to the top and charge big / fairly for it. You’ll lose 99% of the potential buyers who want it for $2 or for free, but you’ll still have your dignity, and a few high end buyers/licensers who will lead to other good / creative opportunities.

#30835 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

You’ll lose 99% of the potential buyers who want it for $2 or for free, but you’ll still have your dignity

Amen to that!

#30836 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Amen to your Amen Art.

Personally, I’d rather drive a UPS truck and make music on weekends than devalue my business and make pennies on the dollar trying to be a “professional” by whoring out my catalog.

#30838 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

@LA writer, yes. On point and I agree to all of that.

#30840 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Make music that cannot be created by loops and one finger sequences, then race to the top and charge big / fairly for it

That’s actually a solid strategy. There are plenty of producers who take as much pride in their work as we do in ours, who are willing to pay for quality (and security). There are business and legal considerations that figure into the equation that separates the buyers who can and are willing to pay for quality from those simply seeking bargain music.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Reply #30835 in Chasing after the YOUTUBE Music Buyers – Is it worth our time?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us