Collabs – worth it?

Home Forums General Questions Collabs – worth it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Arcana
    Participant

Just wondering if you guys do everything solo, or you find collabs worthwhile?

I’m a keys guy with minimal guitar skills, so I’ve collaborated with a guitarist a couple of times. It’s too early days to say whether it was worth it financially, but in terms of productivity, I certainly didn’t find that it was a case of getting twice as much done in the same time.
    I do like the thought of having more people bringing new ideas to the table though.

Any thoughts on this?

#32762 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I do like the thought of having more people bringing new ideas to the table though.

You answered the “Key Element” in Collaboration.
    Yes, Collabs can be Educational, and quite beneficial as well. In addition to being able to cover “more Ground” in terms of getting into Libraries/Catalog. I have also found this to be a successful way to break new composers/writers in Top-Tier Libraries.

#32768 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I do collaborate, but one consideration is their understanding of the business and their ability to respond quickly. When I hear of an opportunity or have a contract presented that needs the attention of a co-writer I want to be able to pursue it quickly!

#33363 Reply
    Willie III Eaglin

I love to collab. I can’t do it all myself. I find alot of opportunities and its cool to work with people who respond and work quickly.

#33364 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I love to collab. I can’t do it all myself. I find alot of opportunities and its cool to work with people who respond and work quickly.

I’ve been having some great placements take place, by teaming up with people that have a “Different Forté”. Like teaming up with people that are great at Trailer & Cinematic; but they are not strong in Urban-Pop, Funk, and Afro-Beat. Been getting into some great Libraries with this!!

Super easy on the paperwork.. Just simply Everything 50/50 down the middle; that way it does not matter who does more on the final end..

#33375 Reply
    mikevan
    Participant

Though I’m mainly a guitar and bass player, I’ve always been used to work on my own since my jiingle days in the 90’s… I would like to collaborate with other composers, splitting royalties or working for hire but I find it hard to find people on forums or groups… Even went to a couple of that cab company rallies but nothing came out of it. Do you find collaborators on line or by personal acquaintances, friends of friends?

#33378 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Do you find collaborators on line or by personal acquaintances, friends of friends?

Have You checked FB, and L**kedIn? They have forums that you can join. Also, not sure what area of the world You’re in, but we have Organizations in The States that are really good for finding people.

Like in my area (California) its really easy to go to events, and network..

#33379 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I manage a forum on LinkedIn. The group owner is a friend and someone I collaborate with. The group is called “Original Music for Media” The groups intention is for sharing music content with other composers, music supervisors, producers, and film and video editors.
    There’s not much dialog, mostly just music creators posting links to their songs. There are 13,000 members. Feel free to visit.

#33381 Reply
    Mc_GTR
    Participant

Depends, I think business knowledge is important with a collaborator. I think collaborating is a bit overrated in general, but with the right persons with a complementing skill set, I can definitely be an asset.

#33382 Reply
    mikevan
    Participant

The group is called “Original Music for Media”

Hi Michael
    I’ve been a member fo years but I rarely post stuff, haven’t been there in a while, actually… I’ll go and check it out again.

#33383 Reply
    mikevan
    Participant

in my area (California) its really easy to go to events, and network..

Hi Beatslinger
    I live in Italy but in the last couple of years I went to LA a few times, for the Road Rally, for NAMM, luckily air fares are cheap now. I’m getting to know a few people but it’s a slow process if you can stay just for a couple of weeks at a time.

#33388 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I’ve been a member fo years but I rarely post stuff, haven’t been there in a while, actually… I’ll go and check it out again.

Great. Like I said, there is not much back and forth, just people promoting their music (good and bad) and services. I do monitor and comment/delete when needed. We encourage activity with “Music Months”, blasting a message to the whole group once a month asking for posts in a certain style. See ya there..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Reply #32768 in Collabs – worth it?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us