Commercial tv production mix vs 'authentic' mix

Home Forums General Questions Commercial tv production mix vs 'authentic' mix

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Vlad
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Writing a ton of indie and blues influenced rock. Some of these types of bands have track mixes that are less than great……BUT, the less than perfect mix itself plays a role in the trendy sound.

With this in mind, since you are writing a track ‘in the style of’, should the mix follow suit? Or should you shoot for a mix that matches the perfect production of modern rock?

I have been shooting for ‘authentic’, but want to hear how other people are approaching this. And I know this topic is very subjective and ‘perfect mix’ is different for every engineer.

Thanks for any input!

#16459 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I would have my mix follow suit for the style. No need to overthink these things.

Remember, “authenticity” is largely an indulgence of people that love the art of creation more than working to please a client.

#16461 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

I am always concerned about how my track translates (whereas I am sure that was the last concern of early/mid Black Keys, for example)

Over think it? I would.

#16463 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I been asked to write some music for the Wahlburgers on A&E. The music the are using is very Indie and deceptively simple. I’ve managed to nail a couple but missed more. A real learning experience sonically, performance wise and compositionaly. Depends on the gig though whether the mix should be “authentic” or not.

#16472 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

For *most* film/TV music, authentic rules in all aspects of your track, unless specified otherwise by the requesting party. For example, let’s say a track is retro in the vein of Cream for the late ’60s. Most placement opportunities would be use of the tune in a scene from that era and/or “source music” whereby the tune is coming out of a radio or jukebox. If you use production techniques that couldn’t possibly have existed back then, it won’t work.

If you’re imitating the general sound of a band that has a garage/lo-hi sound and you make your mix too clean, it may not work for the same reasons. Music sups and editors, especially in higher end stuff, want authenticity.

Same applies to lyric style matching the music. If you write a Black Keys style track with lyrics that sound more like Joni Mitchell, it won’t fly.

Make your music, lyrics, production all come together as an authentic fit.

Yes, YMMV and I’m sure the streets are lines with exceptions. But go with the odds. 🙂

#16478 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I was almost always shooting for authentic, as it just sounded right, but surely the gig determines the direction.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Commercial tv production mix vs 'authentic' mix
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us