Competitrack – how do we use it?

Home Forums General Questions Competitrack – how do we use it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    angopop
    Participant

This came up in another topic and Art suggested starting a new thread on Competitrack so…..

I get that it tracks commercials, what can you guys tell us about how it works for us, what does it cost us and how does it compare to Tunesat and other services that do the same?

Thanks!

#26609 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@angopop, as you noted, Competitrack only tracks commercials. The big difference between it and Tunesat is that BMI (don’t know about the other PROs) pays off of Competitrack’s tracking stats. I have found that Competitrack’s detections and Tunesat’s track very closely. I learned recently that you do not have to submit a copy of the commercial to the Jingle dept of BMI. I believe all you need is the Ad Code.

You can get an account for free and the search capabilities are very comprehensive. It use to be that you could download a copy of the commercial but now they charge $50. There really is no reason to pay as usually the ad, if it’s big enough, will make it to YouTube. Also, the only thing I’m interested in is the Ad Code and tracking stats.

Hope this helps.

#26624 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

That’s great, Art…thanks.

I’ll look into that free account.

#26629 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Hey Art, I contacted Competitrack and they told me they do not offer free accounts….

How long ago did you get your account? Maybe they stopped giving free accounts to composers?

Has anyone else joined Competitrack?

#26632 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

I joined for free in May 2016

#31519 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Tunesat picked up a 30 sec commercial that used a non-ex track of mine. It aired 2 times each on Headline News, Fox Business, Fox News, CNBC and CNN (10 total broadcasts) between 6:30am and 8:00am EST.
    Numerator (formerly Competitrack) picked up 8, but charges $50 to make a downloadable report. I don’t see this generating that much in back end, but I could be wrong.
    How do I use Numerator’s info with ASCAP?

BTW, Competitrack is now Numerator
    https://www.numerator.com/client-login

#31522 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

How do I use Numerator’s info with ASCAP?

You don’t need to pay $50 for the report. You just need an account with Competitrack (Numerator). Log in, search for the commercial, look for the Ad Code and submit that to ASCAP. At least that is what I do with BMI as they pay off of the ad code. Probably not much there for only 10 airings but you never know.

#31537 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

search for the commercial, look for the Ad Code and submit that to ASCAP

Thanks Art. ASCAP has an ad claim submission form that asks for the Ad Code so it was pretty easy. The RF site that licensed it reached out to the production company and requested they file a cue sheet. They said they would so we’ll see.
    The 30 sec spot has run 15 times so far. I don’t expect to see much back end, but this is new for me and it’s always good to learn.

#31558 Reply
    yzzman1
    Participant

Hi Alan,

Yep you should be good now. I’ve used Competitrack before to submit ad codes to ASCAP and they should pay on it with no problems. Keep an eye out on competitrack though if they catch multiple versions of the commercial – there could end up being more than one ad code. If it does end up airing a lot – it can add up significantly.

Chris

#31559 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

thanks Chris. I can’t imagine ASCAP will take my word for it. The producer will still need to submit a cue sheet before I can get any back end, right? I’m still waiting on that to happen.

#31560 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

The producer will still need to submit a cue sheet before I can get any back end, right?

I don’t believe cue sheets are filed for commercials but picked up by detection through Competitrack.

Have you seen this Alan? https://www.ascap.com/help/royalties-and-payment/payment/musicinadvertisements

#31565 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Thanks for that Art. No, I never saw that (and learned it from a BMI guy, how embarrassing 😉
    I submitted the ad claim. It had a total of 24 am airings. I’m curious to see what comes of it.

#31586 Reply
    Tim-b
    Participant

Is it still possible to create an account on the Competitrack/Numerator website? I couldn’t find anything about that on the site…

#31591 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Is it still possible to create an account on the Competitrack/Numerator website? I couldn’t find anything about that on the site…

Looks like they are not making it easy. Seems you have to apply with no clear way of applying. Try this and click on “Trouble signing in” for a video that explains more.

https://myaccount.markettrack.com/hello

#31605 Reply
    Tim-b
    Participant

Thank you Art! I’ll try that link.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Reply #31519 in Competitrack – how do we use it?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us