Composer Catalog – software to keep track of your compositions/songs

Home Forums Share It! Composer Catalog – software to keep track of your compositions/songs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    keithl
    Participant

Just wanted to introduce a software product that I have developed, called Composer Catalog.

Home

I am a composer/songwriter that desperately needed a better way to organize my tracks. Which ones are signed? To what publishers? Exclusive/Non? Plus info on the writers, musicians, etc..

I also added some real specific metadata that we all need (instruments used, bands that sound like, moods, etc..) along with the normal BPM, song key, etc..

You can also search on any of the metadata, as well as view reports that give you a great idea of what your library consists of.

You can take a look at it here: http://www.composercatalog.com

I created a bunch of videos that will take you through the program. Right now, it is available for Windows machines, but more versions are in the pipeline.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Keith

#18695 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

Hey Keith,

I’ve been waiting for you to release this. I will definitely have a look. One quick question: does it embed the metadata in the audio files, or just create an association that is only searchable with your program?

Cheers,

Rob.

#18696 Reply
    keithl
    Participant

Hi Rob,

The metadata is by association. There are too many items. They would not all fit into the file (and different from the normal BPM, genre, etc). For example, you can have multiple band sound-alikes. Something like that could not go into the file (well, go into the file cleanly!)

Be sure and try the free demo.

Thanks for your interest!
    Keith

#18704 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Looks good, a Mac version should be a priority as a large
    portion of music creators and administrators use Macs now.

#18710 Reply
    keithl
    Participant

Yes, I am familiar with the .NET programming language, so Windows obviously came first. But I do realize that the majority of composers/songwriters work with Mac.

#18948 Reply
    keithl
    Participant

Some good news for Mac users. I am happy to announce that Composer Catalog should be available for Mac users late 1st quarter of 2015. Thanks for being patient!

Like our Facebook page for updates:
    https://www.facebook.com/composercatalog

Thanks,
    Keith
    http://www.composercatalog.com

#19073 Reply
    adigold
    Participant

its awesome Keith ! Congrats !

#19108 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

It looks great Keith, I’ve been wanting one of these for years. I would buy it today if it had:
    -Submission records (so I don’t accidentally re-submit a track)
    -Financial/Sales data tracking, i.e. who licensed it, how many times, how much income did it generate
    -Placement data, i.e. Series, episode, original air date, PRO income
    -Tunesat detection import

Consider an “Add New License” page with dropdown boxes to select:
    Track Title (including all alts)
    Publisher
    License fee
    Broadcast y/n
    Optional Broadcast info:
    Film, Promo, Youtube video, Network, series, episode, duration, orig air date, PRO income (that I can add to with future PRO payouts)
    Tunesat detection y/n (might be nice report what Tunesat misses)
    Link to youtube/vimeo etc

I’m no computer database ninja, but I created my own spreadsheet with plenty of hyperlinks and simple formulas. It is so cumbersome I doubt anyone else could navigate it, but it gives me all the info yours does plus a lot more. I would love to dump it for a real database like yours
    I will be watching your website
    Gook luck and keep up the good work!

p.s.
    Sorry if some of these features are already there and I missed them, I’m having a hard time connecting to your site to check before I suggest.

#19109 Reply
    keithl
    Participant

Thank you for your feedback, Alan. Some information is already there, such as publisher, track title and alts.

But the key in the beginning, was to make generic enough in the beginning (ex: not everybody has tunesat, or not everybody submits to sites for licensing opportunities), but this software will always be getting updates and I have been gathering everybody’s feedback.

PRO payments will definitely be included in the next generation.

There is also a fully searchable comments section for each track, so you could definitely put any links or some broadcast info there, for now.

I also just checked the site and it is loading properly.

Thanks again,
    Keith

#19111 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

It looks great Keith, I’ve been wanting one of these for years. I would buy it today if it had:
    -Submission records (so I don’t accidentally re-submit a track)
    -Financial/Sales data tracking, i.e. who licensed it, how many times, how much income did it generate
    -Placement data, i.e. Series, episode, original air date, PRO income
    -Tunesat detection import

Why not buy it in its current state? Your support could help fund the team to make new features. No software will ever do everything. But working with the features it has is better than not using it at all.

Don’t wait for perfection!

#19113 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Good point Desire Inspires, maybe I will make a donation by buying it when it becomes available, depending on the price. Will I manually enter all of my library into a database that I will not use? Heck no

#19115 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Alan, how big is your library?

#19116 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

“Alan, how big is your library?”
    Not very big yet, about 150 titles, 500-ish of you count alts/loops.
    Putting it all into a database would take what, a week? Two?

My library Excel spreadsheet can tell me:
    Title
    duration
    tempo
    Date started
    Date completed
    Total Income generated
    File names/location
    PRO Registration data
    Date submitted to each libraries with accept/reject date
    # of placements by library
    license income and PRO income by library
    link to play file
    link to open a tags/metadata word document
    list of all placements and payouts per PRO statement
    link to master title list (all titles link back to their track sheet) that shows total income, total number of placements, and number of placements per track by library “at a a glance”
    link to master placement list which provides air date, network, episode, duration, track title (that links to track spreadsheet), placed by publisher, tunesat detection
    I also made a cue sheet data sheet I reconcile with my ASCAP cue sheet counter. This is so I can quickly find new cue sheets when they are added.

I’ve developed/tweaked it for over 4 years to fit my needs/wants. It would take a good product for me to abandon it, though I gladly would if I could buy something as good or better.

#19117 Reply
    keithl
    Participant

No need to get heated, gents!

You are both right

Alan, it sounds like you have a great system in place. It sounds like you could add whatever you need to your process and that would be that. No need for my software or anybody else’s.

And Desire Inspires, yes you are definitely correct, no software will do everything. I could add the features that Alan wants and 14 other people could say that they do not need them. You could spend months gathering feedback and constantly adding to the program.

This software started because of my licensing needs. I have over 1,000 tracks and to be honest, I had an excel spreadsheet, but it was getting a little crazy.

I could have spent more time developing more bells and whistles, but wanted to get a firm foundation set for version 1.0.

If this software fits a composer’s needs, then great. If you have a process in place that works for you, then perfect. But we all have to start somewhere and I thing that this software is a great start for composers that need to start tracking their library and may not have the tools or knowledge to do anything on their own.

Keith
    http://www.composercatalog.com
    http://www.facebook.com/composercatalog

#19119 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

If this software fits a composer’s needs, then great. If you have a process in place that works for you, then perfect. But we all have to start somewhere and I thing that this software is a great start for composers that need to start tracking their library and may not have the tools or knowledge to do anything on their own.

Definitely. It is hard work getting started. But now you can add and improve as needed. Congratulations on getting your product to the market.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
Reply To: Reply #19073 in Composer Catalog – software to keep track of your compositions/songs
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us