Composer Catalog – software to keep track of your compositions/songs

Home Forums Share It! Composer Catalog – software to keep track of your compositions/songs

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

So sorry if I came across as heated keithl. That was not intended at all. I only wanted to explain to D.I. why the program wasn’t a good replacement for my current system. If/when my library gets to 1000 tracks, my excel spreadsheet will be very difficult to manage, so I really need a good database. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    Cheers!

#19155 Reply
    keithl
    Participant

No problem at all, Alan.

I do think that once tracks start piling up and you start signing with multiple publishers, a spreadsheet gets a little tricky.

I’m really excited about this new software and the path I have for it in the future. But first, the Mac version come then end of March!

Keith
    http://www.composercatalog.com
    http://www.facebook.com/composercatalog

#19160 Reply
    SCP
    Participant

Hi Alan – Can you tell me how you link audio files to an excel spreadsheet – so that one click plays the audio in your default media player? I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while.

Much appreciated.

#19163 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Right click on a cell
    Choose “hyperlink”
    Choose existing file (or something like that)
    Navigate to the audio file in your browser. Be sure to choose “all file types” because the default is office files only

If you have trouble hit F1 and search hyperlinks

#19164 Reply
    SCP
    Participant

Thanks!

#19406 Reply
    keithl
    Participant

Here’s a quick update for all Mac users:

The Mac version of Composer Catalog is currently in development and will be available at the end of March.

Thanks!
    Keith

#21652 Reply
    keithl

Hello Composers,

I just wanted to let you know that the Mac version of Composer Catalog is now available. For those who do not know what Composer Catalog is, it is software that designed to help me keep my music tracks organized.

You can download a free fully functional trial at http://www.composercatalog.com
    The only limitation in the trial is that you can only have 5 tracks.

Thanks!
    Keith

#21653 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Hey Keith, it looks awesome. I would probably need it to run on multiple computers (networked or copying the file and working on it while on the road). Any chance you could make that work in the future?

#21656 Reply
    keithl

Hi Mark-

Right now, you can:
    1) Export your database and license key
    2) Uninstall your license key from computer 1
    3) Install license key and import database to computer 2

So you can move it from computer to computer. Using it on networked computers would be tricky, due to the licensing key.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
    -k

#21816 Reply
    Musicmatters
    Participant

Hi Keith,

congrats and thanks, this product will fare well. Just one quick question. How do you import data into your software, can you import an excel doc, or can you import mp3’s and their metadata directly. Thanks and best of luck,

MM

#21817 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Thanks Keith. I’ll be checking this out for sure. And great interview you did with Kyle Z. Really enjoyed it!

– Mike

#21818 Reply
    keithl
    Participant

Hi Guys-

@MusicMatters
    – you can import by setting up a CSV file with the pertinent information or just “point” to an audio directory with your files. Keep in mind that by pointing to your audio files will not import any meta data. That still needs to be entered into the system.

If you take a look at the overview video, it might better explain it (it is on http://www.composercatalog.com)

You can always download the trial. It comes with a CSV template that will show you the format that you need to have your records in. You can also edit a group of tracks that you just imported and apply metadata values to them (for instance, if you have 40 tracks on the csv file, import it, highlight those 40 tracks, and then set the genre to “Rock”. This can be done with many of the fields.

@Mike
    – Thanks! That interview was a lot of fun…almost too much fun 🙂

Please let me know if you have any questions and feel free to download the trial.

I am always looking to improve the program (I am a composer as well), so use the contact form and send me your suggestions.

Right now, I am looking into being able to export your tracks to a csv file. This could be useful for a publisher that wants your tracks, moods, instruments, etc. Also, can be helpful for co-writing situations. One person enters the data and the other person can just import that data into their application. It will be a free update.

Thanks!
    Keith

#39344 Reply
    toodamnhip
    Participant

Hi Alan, Your spreadsheet sounds pretty amazing. Have you ever shared it with anyone? Not being very good at spreadsheets, I have been looking for a template to start with. Thanks, David 🙂

#39345 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@toodamnhip. Spreadsheets like Alan created are not that hard. Just do a bit of research and you should be able to create it easily.

#39346 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Also check out this spreadsheet Excel Spreadsheet Template donated by Bobby Cole.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
Reply To: Reply #21818 in Composer Catalog – software to keep track of your compositions/songs
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us