Composers who also release material for commercial release

Home Forums Off Topic Posts Composers who also release material for commercial release

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Chuck Mott

Always on the lookout for composers who walk the line between recording music for commercial release but also work towards writing for licensing, be it corporate/movie soundtrack, whathaveyou. I have some personal favorites, some on the ambient/post rock side like Keith Kenniff, Explosions In The Sky. Trying to come up with more. FWIW trying to e mindful of writing stuff that would work well not only for licensing, but also as background music for sites such as AS. Will keep it generic as far as genre. Thoughts? Anything out there like this that blows your socks off? Something we can turn to for inspiration ?

#23164 Reply
    pcomp

You can also release your production music as commercial releases.

I didn’t think it would sell but I know people who have quite some success doing that, even surpassing licensing income. And that’s with corporate/happy clappy style instrumental tracks.

Of course the almighty Two Steps From Hell do that as well, but I have no idea where they make the most.

#23165 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

That’s how I got started in library music. I released five cds and then found out about library music and started signing that music to non-ex libraries. And then I started creating more production music as well. I still submit my cd music to new libraries and it’s a big part of my non-ex catalog, getting many placements. Here are my cds:
    http://bolvinmusic.com/product-category/releases/

#23166 Reply
    PatrickM
    Participant

Great topic! I was thinking about this last week.
    Can anyone recommend an online music distributor that does not submit music to any digital fingerprinting or Content ID ?
    Last thing I want is to wreak havoc with my non-exclusives

#23167 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

@PatrickM, maybe Bandcamp, and definitely Kunaki for the manufacturing of CDs (you can sell them directly from your website using their product selling page: Once a customer orders a physical CD on your website, it is automatically manufactured and sent to his address.)

Bandcamp would be a great solution for digital distribution (I used it also for physical CDs but it requires I do the mailing). My problem there is that you cannot watermark so I haven’t repeated the experience: what a visitor hears is what a visitor buys.

So I am like you, with plans for commercial releases, but seeking a solution.

#23168 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

@Composer of Notes. Very cool shop you have here. Would it be OK if you shared with us how you managed to set this up? (As it is very cool, it’s more than OK if you wish to keep this your secret 😉 )

#23169 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I hired a web pro! http://bayareawebpro.com/
    Although I create all the content and concept.

#23170 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

With CD Baby I believe you can opt out of Content ID. I’m not aware of any other digital fingerprinting they might do.

#23171 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

With CD Baby I believe you can opt out of Content ID.

Yes you can.

#23172 Reply
    pcomp

DistroKid will have your release on iTunes within 24 hours.

#23182 Reply
    David Rosen

That’s exactly what I do… Although I really need to start paying more attention the licensing side of things, since that’s what I really got into this for, but got pulled away by wanting to make my own albums. Maybe after the next one. Haha.

#23185 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

I have used Distrokid for some releases but lately I am using AMAdea. It’s free to distribute and gets your music everywhere you’d want it. They do a 90/10 non-exclusive split, so you basically earn 90% from every sale. Thanks for the heads up on Kunaki, much appreciated!

#23186 Reply
    PatrickM
    Participant

Thanks Edouardo, definitely going to use Bandcamp and Kunaki is a great solution for physical CD sales! I was waiting for answers from DistroKid and Loudr. If anyone is wondering, with DistroKid you can choose to have specific tracks enter Content ID and Loudr do not enter any music into Content ID.
    MuscoSound, Thanks for the heads up on AMAdea, do they digitally fingerprint tracks? I would assume not. Cheers!

#23190 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

I don’t think they do, but the tracks I have with them aren’t really geared as stock tracks so I treat them a little different. I’ve had pretty good communication with them, so they’d probably get back to you pretty quick if you emailed an asked, just to be sure.

#23192 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

I started out selling my music online and then added licensing; in fact, I still make more consistent income this way. Have always used CD Baby and always opt out of Content ID etc etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Reply #23169 in Composers who also release material for commercial release
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us