Computer Update

Home Forums General Questions Computer Update

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BEATSLINGER 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

gigdude
    Participant

I need to update my computer operating system so I can get some new instruments. I am currently at OS X 10.9.5 . It seems like I can update to OS X El Capitan which is 10.11. I am concerned that some of my old stuff might not work after I do this. Should I have any worries about this? Do I need to check with each software maker? I do backup on Time Machine. If I update my OX will my Time Machine no longer be useful cause it saved everything for the old OX, or is that irrelevant to the files? I know I can’t update to the latest High Sierra cause I know a lot of stuff would not be compatible to this including my DP8. But 10.11 would be good enough for me to get some cool, new instruments if the old software is compatible.

#28768 Reply

MichaelL
    Participant

@gigdude, how old is your Mac? I’m running 10.12.6 Sierra on a 2010 Mac Pro tower 12-core w/48 GB RAM.

I was running DP8, but upgraded to DP9. Not sure which older instruments you’re worried about, but I just did a test and was able to open Kontakt 4.

FWIW, this unit can’t handle 10.13.

#28771 Reply

gigdude
    Participant

Hello Michael L, Thanks for responding !! My computer is a Mac Pro mid 2012 I have never updated and my fear may be irrational but I just don’t want to lose any work. Apple points me to El Capitan .
    This from the link they sent “ OS X El Capitan remains available for Mac computers that can’t upgrade to macOS High Sierra, or that need to upgrade to El Capitan first.” I have Omnisphere 2- East West – Project Sam Orchestral Essentials and Annimator- Kontakt5- Dp8- Realibanjo- SM4 Acoustic Guitar and some other stuff .
    Is the update process generally smooth ? I did talk to the the DP people and Dp8 or Dp9 are not ready for the latest new High Sierra yet. (soon) I would be happy with El Capitan 10.11 I’m just nervous about the update process. Would my Time Machine be something that would work if something went wrong? Would it have to go back to 10.9.5 if I reinstalled from the Time Machine ?

#28773 Reply

MichaelL
    Participant

Hi gigdude. I use Time Machine, but I would make a bootable clone of your OS drive with something like Carbon Copy Cloner before you try to update.

I have clones of all of my drives. You may have to reauthorize some software if you end up reverting to the cloned drive.

#28777 Reply

gigdude
    Participant

Thanks Michael L, Making the Carbon Copy Clone would make me feel more safe for sure.

#28783 Reply

BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I personally still don’t trust “Cloud based storage, and Time Machine” so I still have a “couple” of external drives that I send my work to..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Computer Update
Your information: