Computer Update

Home Forums General Questions Computer Update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    gigdude
    Participant

I need to update my computer operating system so I can get some new instruments. I am currently at OS X 10.9.5 . It seems like I can update to OS X El Capitan which is 10.11. I am concerned that some of my old stuff might not work after I do this. Should I have any worries about this? Do I need to check with each software maker? I do backup on Time Machine. If I update my OX will my Time Machine no longer be useful cause it saved everything for the old OX, or is that irrelevant to the files? I know I can’t update to the latest High Sierra cause I know a lot of stuff would not be compatible to this including my DP8. But 10.11 would be good enough for me to get some cool, new instruments if the old software is compatible.

#28768 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@gigdude, how old is your Mac? I’m running 10.12.6 Sierra on a 2010 Mac Pro tower 12-core w/48 GB RAM.

I was running DP8, but upgraded to DP9. Not sure which older instruments you’re worried about, but I just did a test and was able to open Kontakt 4.

FWIW, this unit can’t handle 10.13.

#28771 Reply
    gigdude
    Participant

Hello Michael L, Thanks for responding !! My computer is a Mac Pro mid 2012 I have never updated and my fear may be irrational but I just don’t want to lose any work. Apple points me to El Capitan .
    This from the link they sent “ OS X El Capitan remains available for Mac computers that can’t upgrade to macOS High Sierra, or that need to upgrade to El Capitan first.” I have Omnisphere 2- East West – Project Sam Orchestral Essentials and Annimator- Kontakt5- Dp8- Realibanjo- SM4 Acoustic Guitar and some other stuff .
    Is the update process generally smooth ? I did talk to the the DP people and Dp8 or Dp9 are not ready for the latest new High Sierra yet. (soon) I would be happy with El Capitan 10.11 I’m just nervous about the update process. Would my Time Machine be something that would work if something went wrong? Would it have to go back to 10.9.5 if I reinstalled from the Time Machine ?

#28773 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Hi gigdude. I use Time Machine, but I would make a bootable clone of your OS drive with something like Carbon Copy Cloner before you try to update.

I have clones of all of my drives. You may have to reauthorize some software if you end up reverting to the cloned drive.

#28777 Reply
    gigdude
    Participant

Thanks Michael L, Making the Carbon Copy Clone would make me feel more safe for sure.

#28783 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I personally still don’t trust “Cloud based storage, and Time Machine” so I still have a “couple” of external drives that I send my work to..

#29496 Reply
    Paolo

…I use Time Machine, but I would make a bootable clone of your OS drive with something like Carbon Copy Cloner…

What is the difference or advantage of making a bootable clone of the mac HD (where the current OS sits) if time machine can revert back to the previous OS?

I ask because I’m also getting ready to upgrade my OS (High Sierra is compatible with my MacPro mid 2012) and want to be best prepared.

Thanks!

#29497 Reply
    Paolo

blockquote ooops – this is better 🙂

…I use Time Machine, but I would make a bootable clone of your OS drive with something like Carbon Copy Cloner…

What is the difference or advantage of making a bootable clone of the mac HD (where the current OS sits) if time machine can revert back to the previous OS?

I ask because I’m also getting ready to upgrade my OS (High Sierra is compatible with my MacPro mid 2012) and want to be best prepared.

Thanks!

#29499 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Take my advice after a MAJOR scare last year. Grab an “External Drive” and Dump everything to that as well!!

Clouds, nor Time Machine are not a physical copy.. Hard Drives are!!

#29502 Reply
    Paolo

Grab an “External Drive” and Dump everything to that as well!!

thanks Beatslinger. Do you drag and drop/ copy paste every folder and file from your MacHD onto the external drive or do you do the clone thing?

Thanks!

#29503 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I physically drag EVERYTHING!!

#29504 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Also. While you’re doing “anything that is a LONG process”. Go to your Mac preferencesand make sure the computer does NOT go to sleep, turn off the screens, or have any way of going “idle”.
    THAT’S how my Damn-near Catastrophe happened!!

#29506 Reply
    Paolo

hey thanks Beatslinger for expanding on the how and for that tip at the end.

Please correct me I’ve got this wrong – I can drag everything- folders and files from the MacHD to an external drive and if I decide to not keep OS High Sierra, I can drag everything back and I’ll have back my MacHD with the previous OS as before.

Thanks!

#29507 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

You can revert back to your old version if you either partition (which I instead loaded mine onto a thumb-drive for less confusion)
    Iam not the best at the super-technical, and I opt for safe rather than having something go wrong with multiple OS systems floating around in my computer..

#29508 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Please correct me I’ve got this wrong – I can drag everything- folders and files from the MacHD to an external drive and if I decide to not keep OS High Sierra, I can drag everything back and I’ll have back my MacHD with the previous OS as before.

NO!!! – this will not result in a bootable drive. You need to do this :

1. Attach a new drive to your system via firewire or USB. It must be as large as your boot drive – preferably larger.
    2. Open Disk Utility
    3. Click on your boot drive in the upper Left Column
    4. Click on the “Restore” tab – the boot drive should be showing in the “source” box.
    5. “Source” should be your boot drive
    6. Your new, clean (formatted or unformatted) drive should be showing in the Lower Left Column. Drag it into “Destination”
    7. Click “Restore”
    8. Wait a few hours (probably).

What you will end up with is an identical clone of your boot drive. CCC actually uses this same app in the background to do it’s thing. EVERYthing will copy over, and you will be able to remove your boot drive, and the system will boot identically, all authorizations will be authorized, even the desktop will be cluttered like your original drive with everything in the identical place. 🙂

If you want to backup WORK drives, then yes, you can drag folders from your work drive(s) to your backup drive.

FOR SURE, you will need to upgrade Contact.

To revert, you put in your “cloned” boot drive and you are at EXACTLY the place you were before cloning it. I suggest always having a clone of your boot drive on hand. If things go sideways, you can swap and 2 minutes later be working again. I ALWAYS clone before any major upgrade. All your “sound” libraries for Kontakt will work in the newer version of Kontakt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Reply #29508 in Computer Update
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us