Contact PRO now about mistake on cue sheet or wait for payout?

Home Forums PROs Contact PRO now about mistake on cue sheet or wait for payout?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jay

I recently saw a cue sheet where a song of mine was used 3 times and credited to “various BMI writers” (no names just like that) – I’m with ASCAP there’s a typo in 2 of the uses – I have other songs on this show and i’m credited properly and the usual link to the share list is there on those songs but not in the 3 uses I mentioned above – should I contact ASCAP now about this or wait until after Aprils payout to see if it works itself out?

also..is contacting your PRO about stuff like this being difficult or just part of the process? as I haven’t had any issues up to now (and I have a good amount of cue sheets)

the three uses are 10-15 seconds each…not a huge deal but i’m sure it’ll amount to something as it’s a popular show..

thanks..Jay

#9152 Reply
    Desire Inspires

You should copy the Work ID for that song and search for it in the ASCAP search engine. If you do not come up as a songwriter, contact ASCAP. Also, be sure to cc the publisher/library on the email. It may have been an oversight that they can easily fix.

#9153 Reply
    Sean

I had a few issues with placements last year and contacted ASCAP about them.  After several emails and phone calls they did resolve the problems.

In my case it was another composer with a similar name to mine getting credit.  No reason to wait IMO, the sooner you start the process the sooner it will be straightened out.  You just have to be persistent until it’s fixed.

#9154 Reply
    Jay

thanks guys…I sent ASCAP a detailed email about it this morning and received a couple emails back saying they’re already looking into it…i’m in my first year of making some good $ via royalties after working hard @ music for MANY YEARS – I see keeping an eye on what goes on with your music is another part of the game…and something you need to stay on top of…Jay

#9155 Reply
    Desire Inspires

In my case it was another composer with a similar name to mine getting credit.  No reason to wait IMO, the sooner you start the process the sooner it will be straightened out.  You just have to be persistent until it’s fixed.

Yes, that still is a common occurrence. That is why I suggest that songwriters, publishers, and music libraries use the Work ID to verify the correct parties are assigned to each work. Similar song titles, similar composer names, and even similar publishing company names can result in missed payments. Work IDs are unique.

#9157 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Jay

Were these errors on placements through libraries or placements you made on your own? The reason I ask is I always thought that if you see a cue sheet error and it was a library placement, the first step should be to contact the library. Obviously, if the library doesn’t make the correction in a reasonable timeframe, contacting your PRO on your own makes sense.

#9159 Reply
    Jay

they were library placements but I always thought the production company fills out the cue sheets and therefore would be responsible for any typos?

am I wrong in thinking this?

this cue has been used before on shows and when spelled correctly credits me….also thanks for the tip on the work ID Desire…turns out I get no credit as writer on the episode/cue sheet in question with this song so it looks like contacting ASCAP was the way to go….contacting the library never occurred to me..i’m still learning about all this so maybe i’m wrong?

Jay

#9161 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

First, this is not a really big deal…

Yes, the production company files the cue sheets. But it’s the responsibility of the publisher (in this case a music library, even if a re-title) to check that cue sheets are filed, are accurate, etc. So, the “protocol” would be to first go through the library. Remember, cue sheet problems can affect how they get paid as well so they need to check them and manage problems.

Again… Not a big deal. I’d like to hear what others say but *I* would contact the library first and only if I can’t get it resolved that way, go directly to the PRO.

BTW, I had a bunch of cue sheet errors whereby I was incorrectly listed as writer on tracks that weren’t mine and was collecting money I didn’t deserve. I reported it to the library (starts with “J”, LOL) and, though it took awhile, they resolved it.

😀

#9164 Reply
    Sean

I’d like to hear what others say but *I* would contact the library first and only if I can’t get it resolved that way, go directly to the PRO.

I should have mentioned, that is what I tried first and the answer from the library was “contact your pro”.  Since then I go directly to ASCAP.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Contact PRO now about mistake on cue sheet or wait for payout?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us