Contract Help Newbie

Home Forums Contracts Contract Help Newbie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Vasim
    Participant

Hi All

Would love some help if possible.
    I’ve been offered a 100% Writers to me and they take 100% Publishers with a 50/50 Sync Fee split. How does this look to composer who are use to deals.

This is my first ever offer, so am totally new with some knowing but very little at the same time.

Thank You

#32826 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Would love some help if possible.
    I’ve been offered a 100% Writers to me and they take 100% Publishers with a 50/50 Sync Fee split. How does this look to composer who are use to deals.

Honestly, I would “Spend The Bread, and “Sit Down” with someone that can really go through the contract with You'”. Certain things “Might” seem the Norm/Typical, but it’s better to really have someone “break everything down and tell you exactly what it means!”

I figure it will give you an opportunity to gain the knowledge, by knowing the terminology, and “general legalese”. From there, You will “pretty-much” see the same wording in future contracts; and know the gist of things.

#32827 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

Thanks for the info. You just said it all in one really. I’m curious to know anyones experience with xxxx cues. The rating on MLR is the highest I’ve seen.

#32828 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

You just said it all in one really. I’m curious to know anyones experience with xxxx cues. The rating on MLR is the highest I’ve seen.

If you have a question about a particular library please leave it on it’s listing.

#32829 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

OK sorry about that.

#32830 Reply
    Paul Biondi

…From there, You will “pretty-much” see the same wording in future contracts; and know the gist of things.

Totally agree with Beatslinger — you’ll be seeing the same basic sections repeatedly so after a while you’ll be able to quickly spot those aspects you’re looking to a have in a deal as well as those you want to avoid.

As far as my contract choices, among other things, I always consider the length of the agreement into the decision equation: 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, perpetuity?

There really is no “right” or “best” deal. A bad deal for one person can be a blessing for someone else. The best deal is the one that meets your needs and is a match for your current situation.

#32834 Reply
    Atmos_Analog
    Participant

You might consider joining this community: https://yourmusicyourfuture.com/
    They share information on deals that are fair and good for the future of our craft.

Atmos

#32843 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the the help. Another question for anyone who’s in the UK, how long does PRS PRO take to confirm a application once they have got it.

Thanks again.

#32849 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

Does anyone know much about a composer’s music being placed on promo’s for tv like ABC etc is it a good side to be on? What sort of sync fees are we talking, backend if any.

The reason I’m asking is because ABC promo’s is the libraries main focus.
    Any insight would be great.
    Thanks.

#32850 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Does anyone know much about a composer’s music being placed on promo’s for tv like ABC etc is it a good side to be on? What sort of sync fees are we talking, backend if any.

The reason I’m asking is because ABC promo’s is the libraries main focus.
    Any insight would be great.
    Thanks.

I guess I’m an “Old Pro at this” so I’m not worried about asking questions.
    Did you simply ask what this entails, and did you do your “research” on the company/library to see what they are currently doing/Relevance? As well, how they are fairing in the market-place?

#32851 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

Hi I did research, but there is only so much online about the library. We’ve also been in constant contact for a while. All seems well. The only thing, that I have not really looked into the last year of online studying, as far as media music, contracts,deals,sync fees,placements etc is TV promos placements. Which is where they want to target my music. The library which can not be mention on the post, has one of the higher user ratings on this site. Plus I’m no fool online or off.

#32852 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

The library which can not be mention on the post, has one of the higher user ratings on this site.

If you are in “Constant Contact”, simply ask.. “Hey Man/Woman, how much do You think I stand to make”.

Anything is possible. I literally trade recipe’s with One of The Biggest Execs at UMG..

#32853 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

I have asked about avarage sync fees, with no real reply apart from it varies. which is right maybe he does not want to say in case nothing ever comes through.

#32854 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I have asked about avarage sync fees, with no real reply apart from it varies. which is right maybe he does not want to say in case nothing ever comes through.

I can tell you first-hand.
    “Promos for Major Networks, that appear on Major Networks? Pay WAY Differently!!”

#32855 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

I don’t know much about US TV. All I know is that they mostly or all the time work with ABC on TV Promo stuff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Reply #32851 in Contract Help Newbie
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us