Copyright Fiasco at YouTube

Home Forums Copyright Questions Copyright Fiasco at YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

However, I did speak with a publisher yesterday who stated they are now making $1000 a day off the YOUTUBE scheme from just 1700 exclusive tracks which are given away in exchange for monetization of the video that gets created with the free soundtrack.

Yes, so he’s making less than $1 per day from each cue.
    Sounds like you’re talking about Scott Schreer. As an owner of Audiam, who you trashed above (the biggest schemers), I assume that your skeptical of his claims.

You can read about views, and what Youtube pays per view here.

And as you quote: 1700 exclusive tracks , which supports exactly what I said. You cannot reap the “benefits” of content ID and put the same music in multiple libraries.

If I wanted to participate in content ID, I’d put chunks of my catalog into different libraries exclusively.

Did you see the WSJ article posted by Art? There’s one writer selling cues to Epidemic Music for $290 a pop. He cranks out 3 per day!

#14016 Reply
    Ulla
    Participant

How does one produce 3 cues a day? How complex can they be? Just wondering if I’m doing something wrong here 😉

#14017 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

How does one produce 3 cues a day? How complex can they be? Just wondering if I’m doing something wrong here

I’d like to hear some of those cues too, so that I can understand the level of composition and production involved.

That said, with high quality sounds and several template set-ups, you can streamline the process.

#14018 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

How does one produce 3 cues a day? How complex can they be? Just wondering if I’m doing something wrong here

Yeah… That one made me think a bit too. Trying realy hard to streamline my workflow here so that I at least can finish 1 track a day.

This youtube thing seems like a real mess. So glad I’ve stayed away from all this content ID stuff.

#14024 Reply
    The Dude

I’ve done three cues in a day. I don’t do it very often, and I’ll admit that most of those are 30 or 60 second spot demos. It depends on the arrangement, genre of music, etc… I don’t think it’s THAT preposterous to create quality (production) music in such a short timeframe. And I’m not talking about slapping a synth line over a drum loop.

I also have a band and release solo music, I don’t use Tunecore as a digital distributor, and I would certainly never use them to manage my publishing. I don’t have much knowledge of their services in terms of publishing, but just the thought of it seems…low rent, like having Wal-Mart as a publisher. It’s an unfounded judgement, but perhaps it’s validated by the backlash they seem to be accruing.

PS, I don’t know what my point is here.

#14026 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

3 two minute + cues per day seems unrealistic to me. And I can’t imagine they would be of much substance. I take great care in sound choices, song structure, and mix quality…in addition to as many real instruments as possible. 3 to 4 hours per tune? I think not.

#14027 Reply
    More Advice

I am “trashing” the entire situation Michael and this entire scene of what comes across to me as companies rounding up tracks from thousands of composers and songwriters with the original pitch being “We’re going to get your music placed into TV Shows, spots, films, games, etc…and pay you 50% of synch fees and share the publishing, etc.” and now, there is this golden opportunity to give away the music ( in mass bulk) in exchange for YOUTUBE monetization. Sure, the publishers benefit because they have volume on their side, but the “cattle” or each “individual cow” in the heard is maybe only going to make a few dollars here and there…and this is not cool.

I say make people license the music on the cheap for their silly YOUTUBE videos, but make them pay something. Let’s not rely only on back end monetization schemes that can only benefit those who have control of thousands or hundreds of thousands of tracks. Let’s get the dough up front for the synch….even if the video is mama singin’ jingle bells with the kids.

Then, we hear multiple stories about songwriters and composers getting copyright infringement claims slapped on their own videos that they created.
    This has actually happened to me. It’s annoying and just wrong. There I am, in a performance video of my own track, and I am the one who filmed myself, I wrote the music, I edited and up-loaded the video to YOUTUBE and a publisher suddenly claims they own the copyright to the music? I have had all these claims taken down, but I never should have had to deal with it in the first place.

Michael, I am not sure what your position is on this… [Removed by moderator]

#14030 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Yes, More Advice, it’s a terrible situation. You are correct. It works well for the publishers…the ones who control thousands of cues. On the micro…individual composer level, it’s nearly worthless in most cases. Having a youtube hit of 1 million views is like winning the lottery. Even at that the payout is what, 10K? You and I both know that there are better ways to make 10K in this business, than handing your cues over to an “aggregator.”

Sorry about the highlighting thing. It’s just the way the “quote” function works on this site. It’s an easy way to focus on the pertinent part of a paragraph or sentence. If you mean the bold letters, that was to highlight the part of your sentence that corresponded to the number that Paul Schreer stated in an interview, and to show that we’re talking about 1,700 cues here, not 20 or 30.

And, as I said in a previous post, the most egregious thing to me, as an attorney, is unilaterally changing the terms of a contract. That is not good.

All the best,

Michael

#14035 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

@MichaelL,

Thank you for your contributions to this and all other discussions on this site. I always find your posts to be informative and walk away with something to think about on the business end of all of this. All of your posts are truly in the spirit of sharing information.

#14041 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@Vlad, thanks for the kind words.

There are a lot of folks here with different levels of experience, and knowledge to share, and we each express ourselves in different ways.

You can learn from everyone!

Best of luck in your endeavors.

_Michael

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
Reply To: Reply #14151 in Copyright Fiasco at YouTube
Your information: