Creating an online searchable database website?

Home Forums General Questions Creating an online searchable database website?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    angopop
    Participant

Hello all. I know there is an old thread that had covered this, but I started a new one as the info in the old one was a bit old, and I didn’t get a lot of responses….

I would like to create an online searchable database (website?) for my film industry contacts to use. I would like it to have descriptions, tags etc that would be searchable, to have the ability to show all edits, audition songs, be able to download mp3s and wav files (in different sample rates if necessary).

I don’t need to sell or have PayPal or anything like that, it would be specifically for people I trust to be able to easily search, listen and download songs.

Someone suggested Subsonic, but I would have to host the songs on my server, which I don’t have — and I don’t have a great internet connection.

Any suggestions?

#33645 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Any suggestions?

You can build it with WordPress. Check out our site at https://artandrobinsmusic.com. You could forgo the shopping cart option. You could use your web host to host the files but I use Amazon S3 to host our files.

#33647 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

I think source audio would do all that you described.
    https://www.sourceaudio.com/

I would like to create an online searchable database (website?) for my film industry contacts to use. I would like it to have descriptions, tags etc that would be searchable, to have the ability to show all edits, audition songs, be able to download mp3s and wav files (in different sample rates if necessary).

I don’t need to sell or have PayPal or anything like that, it would be specifically for people I trust to be able to easily search, listen and download songs.

#33675 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Thanks, Art. Did you create the website yourself or did you hire someone to create and maintain it?

and thanks Music 1234, I will check out SourceAudiio.

-A

#33712 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Art, for your website how do you handle the large amount of storage to hold all the files?
    From what I understand, what costs the most for a website is not the storage, but it’s streaming and downloading that can get expensive. How do you handle it and who do you use?

Thanks.

#33728 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Oh, I see Art.
    Amazon S3 handles storage. I’ve heard that downloading and streaming can add up on S3, do you pay a lot on months where there are a lot of uploads and downloads/streaming?

#37749 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Update. So I started creating my website and my web designer up and quit recently with the website half finished, after nearly a year of working on it.

Can anyone recommend someone with experience who I could hire to finish the website. PM me if you know of anyone. Thanks.

#37751 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear that angopop. What platform did they build your site on?

#37755 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Hi Art, it’s WordPress.
    I started it myself, but could not get many details to work so that’s why I hired the web designer.
    I don’t have the skills or the time to finish it.
    -A

#37761 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hi there.
    Art, can I drop a quick link to a website that I think could help with this?
    This website has helped a bunch of people.

https://www.peopleperhour.com

#37763 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

There is also fiverr.com, guru.com, freelancer.com and upwork.com.

#37767 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Ok, thanks Art and Beatslinger, will investigate!

#37773 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hey angopop, if you want me to take a look at your site let me know. I might have some ideas for you. You can PM me or use the contact link.

#37784 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Hi Art, that would be great! Will contact you via contact link.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Reply #33712 in Creating an online searchable database website?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us