Critique for TV advertisement production.

Home Forums Critiques Critique for TV advertisement production.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keith
    Participant

Hello MLR members.
    It’s been a while since I posted some tracks for critique.
    I’m trying to develop a style that will appeal to TV advertisement production.
    Please let me know if I’m heading in the right direction.
    You can be critical, I’m trying to improve my composing and production skills, not my ego!
    Thanks.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-267194508/sets/mlr-2/s-rop3m
    -Keith

#34037 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hi there Keith, I hope you are well. Happy 2020 to You!

Right now, it’s BEYOND competitive. It’s Brutal!!

To be honest, I couldn’t hear it standing out right now, especially with The amount of Sound Design, and Reverb/Wash that is on mixes right now.

Question: On the Second song, have you thought about making it a “Vocal Tune”? I could hear like really “Retro-ing” it out; and putting like a Flock of Seagulls, ABC, Depeche type Vocal arrangement.

Just a thought..

#34039 Reply
    Keith
    Participant

Thanks for the encouragement Beatslinger.

I think you are right about contemporary mixes. I should probably do some active listening of commercials on popular shows, and try to emulate the current effects and mixing styles.

I haven’t considered adding vocals to my ‘pop tune’ style tracks. Perhaps I should find a local vocalist, and expand my writing skills!

-Keith

#34044 Reply
    mikevan
    Participant

Hi Keith
    if you want to have your tracks considered for ads or licensing, I strongly advise you to listen to a lot of current ads and background music. Go to some good libraries and listen to tracks in a similar style. Listen closely to the arrangements, composition and structures. Listen and try to understand the role that melodies and lead instruments play in this kind of productions. Get some modern drum sounds or loops and invest in a few good plug ins for mixing and mastering if you want to do that yourself. Your tracks must sound current and hi quality (composition and sounds/mix) to be competitive. Right now they sound quite dated and demo-like. Sorry I can’t be more positive…

#34046 Reply
    Keith
    Participant

Mike, thanks for the advice (and criticism!).

My main goal is to improve my composing and production skills, and the best way I know how it to ask people like yourself for feedback.

My next task is to study some current TV advertisements, get some good reference tracks for production, and make another round of recordings.

-Keith

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Critique for TV advertisement production.
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us