Critique

Home Forums Critiques Critique

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AaronM

Hi guys,

I’ve recreated and remastered this track of mine in hopes of better placement opportunities. How does it sound? It’s a bit more processed than I usually go for but it seems like that’s all people want these days.

https://soundcloud.com/aaron-marsden/inspiration

Thanks a lot! 🙂

#17186 Reply
    cherrybakewell
    Participant

Hi Aaron. I hope these comments are constructive. They are meant to be! I wouldn’t normally critique but I have been doing a load of these myself recently and have learnt quite a bit during the process.

Nice idea cos these inspiration trax are very popular but I think it is let down by not having real strings and the production is a bit clunky. I think what I mean is it needs a massive, beautiful euphoric, golden sound but yours sounds like it’s some loops with some room reverb on. Very boxy (the drums are very boxy) and cluttered when there isn’t that much going on really. No parts are defined. Needs more stereo width. I can’t hear much guitar either – it’s all a jumble. Everything is battling to be heard when I think with this sort of music it has to sound effortless and have some level of emotion and space in the mix – whilst also being epic.

I think if your are going to use the midi strings it sounds better if the notes change actually on the beat rather than slightly delayed as you get with midi strings. i.e. the attack – or lack of it – is unrealistic. Real strings will change the note on the beat. The actual midi strings you are using don’t sound good. There are some very cost effective options by spitire/cinesamples/8Dio etc that would immediately raise the production quality.

Maybe change the drum loop too? that wasn’t quite doing it for me. That snare on the offbeat was really irritating. Maybe once or twice is OK. Less is more and all that! You can get a real drummer online who will do you a real drum part for not very much. That would improve it further imo. Just needs to sound more real. Or programme something yourself using SD rather than going the loops route.

Watch those sticky out notes! The piano note at 2:47 is deafening!!

Just imo I’m sure there will be contrasting views as it’s all a matter of personal taste really.

Best of luck anyway!

#17187 Reply
    AaronM

Thanks a lot for the Critique my friend! As for the strings, I do have some “NICER” options now a days but I kept these original strings for more of a rock sound. That said, you bring up a good point.

And for the drums, I do not use drum loops. I created this from scratch. I agree it is a bit heavy though. Perhaps I went a little overboard for this style?

And thank you for pointing out the loud note at 2:47. I need to take care of that for sure! I noticed it on my last edit but I guess I forgot to fix it so thanks again!!!

#17214 Reply
    AaronM

How about the overall vibe/composition? Is it worth putting more work into or would it be best to move onto something else?

Thanks again!

#17344 Reply
    AaronM
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Critique
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us