CryptoWall – CryptoLock – Ransom-Ware

Home Forums News CryptoWall – CryptoLock – Ransom-Ware

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

A quick search for ransomware on Google will show that Macs are not immune. Wouldn’t want you guys to get too cocky! 🙂

#19404 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

A quick search for ransomware on Google will show that Macs are not immune. Wouldn’t want you guys to get too cocky!

😀 Think I’ll semi-retire my second MAC and designate it the internet computer.

#19405 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Yep, PC.

#19409 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Mac users: If you get a pop-up ransom demand while you are in Safari DO NOT click on it.

Go to the Safari drop down menu and click on “reset Safari” with all of the options selected.

Of course, you should always have a dedicated drive for Time Machine back-ups.

#19435 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Art wrote:

The best backup is to ensure you have a clean system, back up to an external drive and REMOVE the drive from your system. Another option would be a backup service (I use Acronis) that uses versioning in the cloud. That way you could go back to a previous version if an encrypted file was backed up. I do both.

Great advice. I do a backup to an external about once a week and disconnect right afterwards. I also have cloud backups to Carbonite. They tell me they do versioning so theoretically you can recover your files.

#19436 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Also, it probably is a good idea for Windows users to keep current with all Windows updates. Microsoft is constantly releasing updates to fill security holes (once they created in the first place, LOL!)

#27492 Reply
    dach
    Participant

my two cents…. One machine per (major) task – always. keeps it simple, predictable and reliable. My office machines are now now 75% Linux but still have 5 windows boxes in the studio – none of which have an internet connection.

#27493 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster
    #27502 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Until recently, I’ve always kept my DAW “internet free”. I disable the motherboards network connector in the BIOS and never plug it in, relying on “sneaker net” to transfer files and make updates. That’s become impossible now. Most modern software requires an internet connection. So I recently bought a USB wireless network adapter. I plug it in only to make a quick software update or program download, and remove it as soon as practical.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: CryptoWall – CryptoLock – Ransom-Ware
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us