Different Mixes for Different Libraries

Home Forums General Questions Different Mixes for Different Libraries

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 years ago by Paul Biondi.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    abellboy
    Participant

I am about to enter the mix phase of an album that I am going to submit for a few different libraries.
    In researching my target libraries I’ve noticed that the two libraries (both trailer with very similar music and orchestration) have significantly different mixing styles across the board.

One library is measurably “drums and hits forward” another is “orchestra forward”. Both do pristine mixes and have major placements, but I am struck by how significant their mix philosophy is.

I really am thinking about doing two different mixes targeted at each library. I don’t foresee this being that time consuming as the main difference is the balance between orchestra and percussion/hits.

Am I crazy (actually my wife can answer that!) or is this a thing?

#37530 Reply
    Paul Biondi

@abellboy

There’s one way to quickly tell if doing two different mixes are going to matter or not: do a quick deconstruction of a few cues from both of the libraries you are targeting. If you want more validation, you could then do a Mix Maps. Hope that helps.

#37531 Reply
    Paul Biondi

PS – I meant to add that if your goal is to emulate their mixes, then deconstructing and mix maps are the way to go. However, if you were referring to libraries requesting different stems / alt mixes like “drums and hits forward” then yes, that can vary between libraries. Then you could simply list the alt versions that they they include in addition to the main cue.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Different Mixes for Different Libraries
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us