Do buyers shop around?

Home Forums General Questions Do buyers shop around?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GM
    Participant

Hey folks, I’m relatively new to the music library world. Joined a pretty well known RF library last september, then joined more and more. I’m on about 12 libraries now. I’m quite satisfied with the results. People seem to appreciate and buy my music. I’m still learning the whole thing.
    However … I’m wondering if buyers shop around – I mean: when they find a track they like, and before buying it, do they go to other libraries to find better prices for the same track? Is this a concern of yours?
    My concern is that one library I’m in – let’s call it “Music Forest” (not the real name of course, but it’s not hard to guess …) set prices that are REALLY LOW and, to make things worse, as a non-exclusive member, my share is 33%, which generates absolutely ridicolous earnings per sale (about 5 dollars). It’s shameful. So, I’m very tempted to abandon that library, especially because – if customers do shop around – it would be better for me NOT to be there. However, it’s a library that generates a lot of traffic, connections, maybe reputation (maybe …) and so forth. So, for a newbie, it might be good to be there nonetheless. What do you think? Do buyers shop around?
    Sorry for my english – not my mother tongue, obviously … 🙂

#16045 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

1) Yes, customers do shop around and you are undercutting yourself.

2) Some libraries, like AS, have “Music Forest” on a banned list and can drop you, for selling on that site.

That said I’ve noticed that some people sell there using pseudonyms with different titles for their cues.

#16047 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@Giomasino. After doing the RF thing for a number of years I just stick to a few RF sites and price everything the same (about $40). AS has their own mechanism for setting prices (higher). I use to title those differently but finally got tired of the extra admin work so now title all the same. I just don’t worry about it anymore.

There are a few stories floating around about some composers making fabulous sums in the RF world but I think that’s the exception rather than the rule. You’ll generally do much better with PRO income.

Just my 2 cents worth.

#16050 Reply
    GM
    Participant

Michael, Art
    thanks a lot for your answers. I’m a newcomer, but I quickly developed the same idea. Some RF sites (like … “Music Forrest”) are just a disgrace for composers. I’ll follow your advice. Thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Do buyers shop around?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us