Do we have a responsibility to pull out of libraries that don\'t work?

Home Forums Commentary Do we have a responsibility to pull out of libraries that don\'t work?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    More advice

We write, record, mix, master, up-load, tag and describe. It’s a process. We succeed at some companies, but come up short at others.
    Many companies disappoint because they do not have the right connections to penetrate the market or a good marketing plan. Others stick a few dollars in our pockets each year. Others just fail entirely, and some work out really well.

Is it our duty to simply “trim the fat” by deleting our catalogs from companies who simply do not provide any revenue after 12 to 24 months? Would the industry be healthier if only those companies with proven success get to market, license, and/ or sell our music?

I’ll be interested in everyone’s opinion.

#13028 Reply
    Wildman

If we are talking about RF or non-exclusive Pro libraries your comment is very wise and comprehensible. 18 month for me is the maximum waiting time. If a company is not selling my cues during this time, or not enough, I`ll delete my catalogue there.
    If we are talking about the exclusive pro pm and trailer bizz it is totally another thing. We “have” to be very very careful for whome we are producing albums or single cues.
    I made a lot of mistakes in the beginning of my career. I have albums out there that are not really used because the company didn`t have the impact I was hoping for. The copyright is gone ! With another company some of this albums would run definitely way better.
    But I also had luck to find libraries that work pretty well. It`s a constant learning and trying process anyway.
    Some time ago I promised myself just to work for companies that are in the business for a long time and well known. It`s pretty hard to enter but it is worth it to work harder.

#13182 Reply
    GeorgeMichael
    Participant

I would certainly agree, especially the further I get into this business. I’ve deleted two catalogs completely from non lucrative libraries over the past few months.

It’s funny because when I started doing this I definitely had the “put your music everywhere you can” approach. I’m seeing though that method is not ideal, for me anyway. Trim the fat.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Do we have a responsibility to pull out of libraries that don\'t work?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us