DP8 is here

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    woodsdenis
    Participant

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp

For those who use it, it has finally arrived.

#6894 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Thanks Denis.

I saw the thread on VI this morning. Ordered instantly.

VST support is huge. It opens up a lot of possibilities.

VEP will be reduced to connecting my second computer.

#6896 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

God help me, I wish I had never seen this thread.  I am not often struck by gear/software lust anymore, but this just hit a nerve today.

#6898 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

If you’re already a DP user, the $195 upgrade price is a no-brainer.

I’m finishing two tracks today and tomorrow and then not doing anything else until I install DP8. It’s going to streamline my workflow tremendously. 🙂

#6899 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Whats the major difference Michael between this and DP 7 ? I used DP when it was  Digital Performer V2!!

Back then it was very good, especially for film scoring. Has had its issues over the years but still a strong presence in the film composer world in the States. Really dont see it over here (Europe) very much. A relatively small company in a sea of big ones but came out with some groundbreaking stuff. Freemidi patch names were a godsend in the day when you used external gear.

#6901 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

“Whats the major difference Michael between this and DP 7 ? I used DP when it was  Digital Performer V2!!”

#1.  DP8 is cross-platform. PC users will be able to us DP for the first time.

#2   DP8 is fully 64 Bit…what I’ve been waiting for so I can use all 24 GB of RAM on my MAC.

3#  DP8 is multi-platform with respect to plug-ins. You can now use VST plugs in addition to AU.

64 Bit is the biggest thing for me. I will be able build my entire template(s) inside DP… no need for Bidule or VEPRO.  I will still use VEPRO to connect to my farm computer, which holds all of my PLAY libraries.  But…even that may not be necessary.

#11093 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Okay, 9 months after Denis made this thread, and 8 years after I thought I had made my final choice for a DAW, tomorrow I am buying DP8.

#11101 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@JohnJudd, I think you’ll be happy with your choice. I’ve used Performer since Version 1, about 25 years ago. I’ve been very pleased with DP8.
    If you’re scoring to picture, it’s great.

I tried Logic because it went 64bit first, but didn’t like it, so I went back to DP7 and VEPRO.

I’ve also thought about Pro Tools, but just for recording. I know a number of writers who use DP on the front end for sequencing, and Pro Tools for recording/mixing. So far, I haven’t found a need to do that.
    And, I’ve heard that PT doesn’t play “friendly” with some instruments, like Kontakt.

Let me know how you like it.

Cheers,
    Michael

#11103 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Did you sort out the initial problems Michael, I still have an upgrade from DP3 !!! I can use.

#11105 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Hi Denis, yes, MOTU sorted out the bugs in 8.1. I still use VEPRO for things like hosting my LASS template. I think that DP is up to version 8.2 or more now. I’ve been out of my studio for so long I’ve got alot of updating to do!

#11110 Reply
    ypb2857
    Participant

I’ve been using DP8 for a good long while. I think it’s fantastic. The perfect balance between power and convenience. I find Pro Tools to be too simplistic and lacking some power features (especially MIDI). I find Logic to be overly complex and it’s hard to do even simple things quickly. DP is right in the middle and for that I love it.

I haven’t tried the brand new Logic Pro X. I know it’s a lot more simplified so hopefully that’s a step in the right direction. So many of its features were just there to catch up with the competition though that there’s nothing that makes me think I have to switch.

The only thing I really like about Logic is its huge suite of bundled instruments (even though not all of them are top quality). The new virtual drummer stuff doesn’t really excite me because within a couple of months, you’re going to hear it everywhere and then even untrained ears will start to go, yeah, that’s Logic. Just like people do with GarageBand Jam Packs today – they got way overused by amateurs and I actually have music supervisors telling me, please please don’t just send me stuff made from GarageBand Jam Packs.

#11161 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

@MichaelL,

Yes, filmscoring is the reason I decided on it. My other DAW couldn’t handle that angle. Happy to say I own DP8 now. I will report back in a year, once I have spent some time with it.

JJ

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: DP8 is here
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us