Drum software

Home Forums Software Drum software

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sean

I am looking for recommendations for a drum sample library/software.  I currently have Steven Slate EX 3.5 and would like to add a high quality set to my arsenal to cover some of the ‘lighter’ material.   I write mostly guitar-based cues in blues, country, and rock along with some of the sub-genres of each.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

#8243 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’ve had Addictive Drums for a few years and like it a lot. They’ve kept adding and updating over the years so I think the company will be around awhile.

#8245 Reply
    Sean

Thanks Art, I’m going to check that out now.

#8247 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

BFD2  and Studio Drummer for kits.

Stylus RMX has a lot of kits and light percussion stuff. (over-due for a major update)

For dance/electronica etc tons of stuff on Maschine.

#8251 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Stylus RMX has a lot of kits and light percussion stuff. (over-due for a major update)

Another great one. I agree, it could use an upgrade.

#8252 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

There are also some very good expansion libraries available for RMX from Spectrasonics and third party companies like Nine Volt and Sampleholics.

Another secret revealed: I like to take old “live” racks and slice  n’ dice and convert them to REX files with Recycle, import them into RMX, then alter the tempo and groove.

Change the pitch and tuning 25 different ways with Melodyne…and you’ve got a whole catalog from one track. 😆

#8253 Reply
    Sean

Thank you both for this information.  Very helpful and gets me in the right direction.  Stylus RMX seems to be a very powerful tool, thanks for your input MichaelL.

#8254 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

Superior Drummer from Toontrack would aslo get the job done. Absolute useable but I don`t know how it compares to the sets already mentioned in this thread. Toontrack also have a couple of expansions called Nashville and Vintage Rock kit or something like that, that might work for the country/bluesy kind of stuff. However I have not tried these myself so I don`t know how good they actually are. As far as I know they are actually made for EZdrummer, but will also work with SD.

Stay clear of EZdrummer from Toontrack if you want to get high quality drum tracks without too much engineering. It can sometimes work pretty good for pop/light rock stuff, but it often takes a bit too much time to make it fit good in a mix.

If you are on Logic you might also want to try a couple of the stock drum kits. Some of them are actually pretty good. Especially the seventies kit would work well for a some bluesy stuff as long as you`re aiming for a more vintage sound and not the Gary Moore blues sound 😉

#8255 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I use Addictive Drums,EZ Drummer,Stylus RMX and loads of samples I have collected over the years. I have been beta testing Ableton Live 9 and their Audio to drum track feature is amazing. It will analyze a drum groove and convert it into a midi track !!!!

#8257 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

@Woodsdenis

I`ve been using EZdrummer too and it can sometimes work pretty well. But very often I find it hard to fit perfect in the mix so I would not recommend it. Is your experience otherwise?

#8263 Reply
    Greg

I have used Addictive Drums for several years and love it.  The expansion packs are excellent.

#8264 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

I have been using EZ Drummer for years. It’s great but I agree with some of the others that it is hard to fit in the mix. I am using Logic and as Kenny said they have some great kits in the Ultrabeat drum sampler, and well as in Logic itself. I am going to check out Addictive one of these days as well. Heard very good things about it.

#8265 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I`ve been using EZdrummer too and it can sometimes work pretty well. But very often I find it hard to fit perfect in the mix so I would not recommend it. Is your experience otherwise?

Hi Kenny

The kit I use 99 % of the time is the Nashville one which is fantastic. All the others are so so for me. Don’t forget you can trigger other samples/VI’s from the midi notes, I frequently will augment with Addictive Drums. I think the midi grooves that toontrack have are really good. Very well put together by a real drummer with an electronic kit.

#8270 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

Glad to hear I was wrong about EZdrummer then, and I’ll probably give the Nashville kit a try 😉
    I really like the fast and easy workflow of EZ, so if this is a way to make it sound great it will make me a very happy man 😉

#8273 Reply
    Sean

Everyone has been a great help on this, thanks a lot!  Nothing compares to the voices of experienced people when choosing tools of the trade.  Not sure which one yet but I know where to look now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Reply #8253 in Drum software
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us