Earnings question?

Home Forums General Questions Earnings question?

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m playing catch up on the market. I’m aware that I may lose big. It’s a gamble I need to – and am willing to – take, as I”m nearing retirement.

You only lose if you sell!

Bear markets, since the 1930s, have an average duration of only 18 months and an average loss in value of about 40 percent.

The average recession lasted 22 months, and the average expansion 27. From 1919 to 1945, there were six cycles; recessions lasted an average 18 months and expansions for 35. From 1945 to 2001, and 10 cycles, recessions lasted an average 10 months and expansions an average of 57 months.

I’ve lived through at least four severe downturns in the market in the last 30 years. Remember the Dow at 6000 only a few short years ago? The key is not to panic and to build enough cash reserves to be able to ride out the downturns. And finally, one should never invest in the market if they are not optimistic about the future. I’m optimistic by nature so I’m in!

#29694 Reply
    spiker
    Participant

The stock market is the best way to go, but nearing retirement all the so called experts say if you need the money to live on you better be prepared for a five year cycle (downturn and recovery) to get back to where you were at the start of the downturn.

Best of luck to everyone!

#29698 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

I can wait!! Willing to take the risk. Royalties are the actual retirement that I’m planning on…..

That’s probably dicier than the stock market. LOL

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Earnings question?
Your information: