Edits

Home Forums General Questions Edits

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Wildman

Hi mates,

I am just curious.
    How do you guys create your edits ?

Do you cut them from the main versions or
    arrange them in your daw ?

I always cut the edits from the main versions or
    underscores….

Best,
    Wildman

#11490 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I always cut the edits from the main versions or
    underscores….

Me too.

#11491 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I prefer to work from the midi of the original full length version, that way I can add pick ups and change the tempo slightly if necessary. Sometimes a cymbal crash or roll needs to go, little tweaks like that make the edits less jarring.

#11496 Reply
    mikevan
    Participant

I use both techniques: I usually cut the full length version but beforehand I prepare a few ‘special’ bits like a short and long ending note, an alternate short intro and maybe a couple alternate segments. I also have a few separate drum fills for stingers or to connect parts.

#11529 Reply
    Wildman

Ok,

it`s good to be capable of both techniques… 🙂

#11530 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I prefer to work from the midi of the original full length version, that way I can add pick ups and change the tempo slightly if necessary. Sometimes a cymbal crash or roll needs to go, little tweaks like that make the edits less jarring.

+1 That’s the way I’ve always done it, unless I don’t have that option. For example, I may be re-mastering some old cues, with live players, for which I only have stereo masters.

#11533 Reply
    seanm
    Participant

Once I get the full mix the way I like it in my DAW session and bounce that version down, I save the session as “Song X ALTS” in the same session folder. Then I work from that session chopping, hacking and rearranging as needed until all of the alternate versions are created. As I create each alt, I bounce AIFs, WAVs, etc before I move to the next alt.

#11534 Reply
    Bronxnomba

More often than not I work from the main edit.

#11631 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

I use the brand new Toontrack EZedit plugin. Just type in how many secs I want the edit to be, and the software takes care everything for me 😉

#11632 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Thought I asked already but not seeing my post and was wondering who among us regularly does alts of their tracks, and of what sort ( 30, 60 secs, stingers, etc) and if this was a good regular practice to adopt for my tracks in the future. Worth doing as regular practice or no?

#11635 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Here’s what I generally do though there can be variations.

Full
    DnB
    Bed
    15 Second
    30 Second
    60 Second
    Loop
    Stinger/Bumper

#11652 Reply
    gdomeier
    Participant

By bed, do you mean no melody instruments or vocals?

#11653 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bed to means no melody (vocal or otherwise).

#11654 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

So Art; Do you make all those by editing your stereo mix? Seems like sometimes that would be impossible. And some libraries want distinct beginnings and endings to all edits. No way I could do all that from a stereo mix.

Eb

#11655 Reply
    el_mono
    Participant

It depends on the library for me, some just ask for a 30 or 60 second edit cut from the stereo master and then others will ask for a series of mixes that i’d only feel comfortable delivering by re-writing the project file in Logic.

One company has me delivering…

Main mix
    Alternative Mix
    30 Sec Main Edit
    30 Sec Alternative Edit
    Sting
    Hit (The final downbeat)

Along with full stems & the Logic file for the main mix…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Reply To: Edits
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us