ESPN Cue Sheets

Home Forums General Questions ESPN Cue Sheets

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LuvMusic
    Participant

ESPN, as far as I know, never pays royalties to writers and publishers. I’ve noticed over the last several weeks that hundreds of non-series cue sheets from ESPN/SportsCenter have been pouring like mad into my ASCAP profile. What’s even weirder is that all the dates are from 2014-2015. I contacted the library that placed the track for me and they said it wasn’t worth appealing due to the fact that ESPN doesn’t pay royalties. When I asked who filed the cue sheet, the library said that it must have been ESPN. Which brings me to my main question – If ESPN doesn’t pay royalties, then why are they bothering to file cue sheets with PROs?

#31830 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Is ESPN not paying royalties because like the Scripps networks all of the music for their shows is direct licensed? Or is it because ASCAP doesn’t survey the network? Maybe your next question about the new cue sheets should be to ASCAP.

#31835 Reply
    LuvMusic
    Participant

ESPN doesn’t pay royalties because they are built into the direct licensing deals with the publishers/libraries. I’ve already put in an appeal with ASCAP . I’m not expecting any money – I’m just appealing strictly on principle. I normally wouldn’t care about this, but its hard to ignore the sheer avalanche of SportsCenter cue sheets that keep adding up every day in my PRO account. Why are these cue sheets being processed if no one is getting royalties? According to Forbes, ESPN’s brand value is 14.6 BILLION dollars. They can’t afford to pony up a few shillings in royalties to writers and publishers?

#31838 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

It is disappointing. Between direct licensing and the dreaded survey it’s surprising we get any pay at all sometimes.

#38678 Reply
    D Rey

I have also had this happen but it was accompanied by pay. Entries in my works catalog showing up 3+ years late in the form of cue sheets. Pay for each placement ranged from 10 to 30 bucks.

+1 for being surprised we are paid at all. I have been seeing an avalanche of placements showing up in my TuneSat for x games and other things on ESPN over the past several months again, I doubt I will see money from them. Maybe in a few years if I’m lucky.

Very frustrating, was told by BMI I have no recourse. Licensing catalog wont even return my emails about it. What’s the point of having music on TV if I can’t collect?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #31835 in ESPN Cue Sheets
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us