Exclusive, Non-Exc. What’s working best for you?

Home Forums General Questions Exclusive, Non-Exc. What’s working best for you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

As the business model is evolving away from NE, are you trending toward Exclusive and finding better results?

#16913 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bumpity, bump. 🙂

#16914 Reply
    bradymusico
    Participant

For me, my better paying Broadcast placements of 2013 were mostly from Exclusive cues. I’m curious if others saw that happen with their portfolios as well…? Overall, exclusive tracks have also performed better for me but I was somewhat late to the game as far as NE library work, so I’m not that great of an example in terms of the trend.

#16916 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Exclusive has worked the best for me.

#16917 Reply
    AaronM

I would like to hear some more takes on this as well. I’m mostly doing RF for now and I believe it’s starting to pick up a bit.

#16918 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

After several years of doing well with NEs, I just decided this year to contact and also write for Exclusives. I expect to better know my leanings in about a year.

#16924 Reply
    AlpacaRoom
    Participant

I had a few great placements this year from a small, exclusive catalog, but they’re not ongoing. I’m seeing a pretty consistent flow of Tunesat detections from a large, formerly-non-exclusive library (with whom I still have a non-exclusive agreement). A similar number of cues in another well-known formerly-non-exclusive library (with whom I have an exclusive agreement) are showing bupkis.

#16925 Reply
    guscave7
    Participant

For me 80% of my BMI royalties comes from tracks I submitted to libraries that were once NE, however all those libraries have now gone the exclusive route.

It’s still early to tell, but I have seen a small amount of placements on tracks I’ve submitted as Exclusive within the last couple of months.

#16928 Reply
    Barry

My income breakdown is 80% exculsive libs, 10% exculsive RF libs, and 10% non ex RF libs. In all cases my exculsive tracks bring in significantly more income than my non ex tracks even on the RF market.

#16930 Reply
    ypb2857
    Participant

well, the big difference is that NE’s tend to have zero or low up-front fees, while exclusives can still command some fairly substantial sync fees.

i’m finding almost no usages of my old non-exclusive stuff. exclusive is definitely picking up. jingle punks, with whom i was formerly non-exclusive and am now exclusive (but left my older tracks as NE), isn’t doing as much for me as they have in the past. i’ve been contributing to the exclusive library since jan 2012 and have only seen one or two placements (whereas my old NE cues still get regular placements). i’m suspicious that they have now grown so big that non-staff composers are highly marginalized.

#16944 Reply
    dCsoulplusmind
    Participant

I’m about 60% exclusive, 40% non-exclusive as far as income is concerned. I’ve seen a substantial increase in usage from previously non-exclusive turned exclusive libraries. At this point, I only keep vocals songs or cues that I think would fair very well as RF as non-exclusive.

#16945 Reply
    composer
    Participant

jingle punks, with whom i was formerly non-exclusive and am now exclusive (but left my older tracks as NE), isn’t doing as much for me as they have in the past. i’ve been contributing to the exclusive library since jan 2012 and have only seen one or two placements (whereas my old NE cues still get regular placements).

This is my experience as well.

#16954 Reply
    bradymusico
    Participant

I’ve seen the opposite from JP. Since going exclusive with them last year, I’ve had a sharp increase in uses for promos etc. I think it’s hard to say what’s really working. I wish there were some more specific analytics available in the J Player. Would be interesting to compare plays with NE tracks vs E…I suspect it’s not an accident that they never brought back the analytics though. 🙁

#16961 Reply
    chuckhughes2
    Participant

I am 100% NE. I write a niche style, and don’t want to end up with my songs collecting dust at an exclusive publisher while the publisher tells me the songs are not being placed because they are not in a current mainstream style. This approach allows me to write exactly what I want, which is what I need to do to keep this fun.

#16963 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I am 100% NE. I write a niche style, and don’t want to end up with my songs collecting dust at an exclusive publisher while the publisher tells me the songs are not being placed because they are not in a current mainstream style. This approach allows me to write exactly what I want, which is what I need to do to keep this fun.

That is very awesome! Much success to you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Reply #16918 in Exclusive, Non-Exc. What’s working best for you?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us