Exclusive vs. Non-Exclusive Strategy?

Home Forums General Questions Exclusive vs. Non-Exclusive Strategy?

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 261 through 270 (of 288 total)
  • Author
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I make somewhere between 3000 -4000 or more gigging 50 – 60 times a year .

Wow. That’s just $60 a gig! Is it really that bad out there in the live scene?

#29735 Reply
    Paolo

I’m sure this post if it makes it will result in some jabs at the quality of my efforts.

Not at all Chuck! Posting a performance on a music forum is not an easy thing to do,

I don’t have any advice other than suggesting some discussion might be helpful. What feedback have you received from other professionals/peers (not family and friends) whose skills and feedback you respect? Did you agree with their feedback? If yes or no, why?

#29737 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

I agree with LA Writer, but I also think one needs to ask his or herself, “Can I write/record/mix music that is as good, if not better than what’s out there in libraries?” If the answer is no, then you need to do what you want to do, for fun, or for a iittle extra dough. I’ve been reading Seth Godin’s “Purple Cow” again, and it’s a great read for the business minded. He basically says, if you are not doing your job better than your competition ( or not doing it in a remarkable way), your are already sunk. In the modern business climate especially, there is no time for “average”. And these days it’s even harder with all the thousands of composers you’re competing with. Don’t want to poo poo on anyone’s dreams, but sometimes we all need a dose of reality. The days of slamming out cookie cutter cues and making a living are over. My theory is, if I’m not making money, I better be enjoying what I’m doing.

#29740 Reply
    CHuck Mott

We make about $75-$100 depending on where we play. We were doing on average like 65 gigs a year.

#29741 Reply
    CHuck Mott

Most musicians I know diversify their sources of income. That said, what makes this band and the solo project different is that I wanted to do something totally different then I’ve done before. Unlike other projects we are learning a lot of stuff right from scratch, largely because I am working with a female singer for the first time in about 30 years. That leaves me needing to force some choices , for now, since I also work a day job, where to expend my efforts. The solo will be a long term project….but I do want to get back into licensing. Looking at writing licenseable music , maybe even more with vocals. And integrate that into into the solo. If I could bring those worlds together, that would be the ultimate. I don’t know that I would ever be a 2-3 tracks a day kind of guy.

#29743 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Chuck – you should try to define exactly what your’e shooting for. IME, writing “songs” that could be performed live is a far cry from writing production music. The former is limited in uses with (potentially) higher sync fee’s, and the latter can be used over and over in a wide variety of situations and probably licensable 100X’s more than “songs”. That may be part of your problem in getting placements. I don’t know, just speculating here…..

#30450 Reply
    Glenn
    Participant

Mmmm …. Reality check 2.0 🙁

I did a lot of research the last couple of months and its not getting better unfortunately.

#30453 Reply
    Paolo

I did a lot of research the last couple of months and its not getting better unfortunately.

Hi Glen – in the long run, it really does work out 🙂 One deal here and a few placements there leads to more. And more work keeps the skills improving which leads to more placements. And always be optimistic even when it doesn’t make sense! Because then you’ll discover approaches (and some wild off-the-wall fun ones) that you wouldn’t have otherwise.

#30454 Reply
    Paolo

Hey Glen – I misspoke. You were referring to the subscription model situation not improving not the business in general. Guess I was in an encouraging mood LOL!! Please disregard my previous post.

#30455 Reply
    Glenn
    Participant

Hi Glen – in the long run, it really does work out ? One deal here and a few placements there leads to more. And more work keeps the skills improving which leads to more placements. And always be optimistic even when it doesn’t make sense! Because then you’ll discover approaches (and some wild off-the-wall fun ones) that you wouldn’t have otherwise.

Hey Paolo, to be honest it was a bit of both. The subscription model is not helping the business is my impression if you read the comments over here about the subject. We just have to adapt, step up our game and find new and maybe better ways if you ask me.

Hey Glen – I misspoke. You were referring to the subscription model situation not improving not the business in general. Guess I was in an encouraging mood LOL!! Please disregard my previous post.

You were right Paolo, thank you for the encouraging words 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 261 through 270 (of 288 total)
Reply To: Reply #8909 in Exclusive vs. Non-Exclusive Strategy?
Your information: