Faux Music Supe: Champion or Foe?

Home Forums General Questions Faux Music Supe: Champion or Foe?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Bigg Rome

Wanting to know the thoughts of other composers on this person.
    I noticed the tweets he does..gets the attention of major music sups.

They are constantly responding to him, but does his post do more harm than good. I know he goes after JP hard…would this in-turn make music sups not wanna mess with these companies..if you have someone out there tainting different companies names. Which then hits the composers who are scrambling for what little we doe see.

I think it is interesting , mainly cause no one else is really getting that kind of attention online within this industry to garner a conversation. Even more than this site. Which is a great site.

But on the other the twitter page of (Fauxmusicsupe) really isn’t helping composers either. Satire that will soon be a reality.

Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I think he is thought-provoking, but sometimes tries too hard.

The music licensing business is as tough as any business to gain success in. I think that some of the points he brings up may help. But he seems to be on a high horse and tends to look down on songwriters for being green to the business. It takes time, talent, and experience to gain any real traction.

His beef with ASCAP songwriters is sort of unfair. Everyone isn’t going to just switch to BMI or SESAC. No PRO is perfect and most musicians will not make more than a few thousand dollars a year from music royalties. Protesting, blogging, tweeting, and getting angry rarely changes things.

All in all, I find him entertaining. I come to places like MLR to learn. I tune into Fauxmusicsupe for a laugh. He is like a Stephen Colbert of the music licensing world.

Art Munson
    Keymaster

Here’s a previous links about him here on MLR:

Art was Right – FauxMusicSupe

and here:

General Questions

MichaelL
    Participant

Perhaps following the Wall Street Journal, instead of Twitter is more informative. Business is business. And in this business, your luckky to get your 10 seconds on a cue sheet.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323393804578555944104190584.html

bigg rome

The music sups are responding to him. This is something you just can’t ignore.

So if they are listening to him.I wonder how that would affect the business model of some these companies he goes in on.

Can you even do that? Legally does it get to a point where someone says hey you are disturbing my business with your antics.

It would be easy to dismiss, but he does have alot of important people ears online. I think he could be more effective , if he becomes a true champion for the composers, by bringing the opportunities(he claims to know/have) to them bypassing the middle man. Sometime people don’t see the power they have, but I SEE HOW HE Actually and make it a positive thing before his satire ruins it.

David Herrrshland

Dude’s just burned there isn’t a 50 under 50 on Billboard.

Desire_Inspires
    Participant

The music sups are responding to him. This is something you just can’t ignore.

Actually, we can ignore it.

Even more, the libraries that he denigrates can ignore him too as long as they are successful. Even though he has some influence, he probably is not going to shut down a successful company.

There are companies doing much worse things to employees and customers. Things like not filing cue sheets on time, not paying sync fees, or signing songs exclusively are pretty small in the whole scheme of things. Composers have to remember that success in the music library world comes from hustling, not tweeting.

Fauxmusicsupe brings up some valid points. But he seems more interested in promoting his own agenda than helping out music composers. He needs more than satire to change the world.

bigg rome

I partially agree with you. You make some real good/valid points.
    It seems that ‘music supes’ would indeed take his word to heart though…on some things. This is what I meant by the change that social media can create.

Before social media, your theory might be 100% true. But times have change and so has influence. Word of mouth about a particular topic is a big thing in today’s world

MichaelL
    Participant

@Bigg rome read the WSJ article that I just posted, and the Desire Inspires also posted (another link). JP is locked with their clients for reality shows like “Pawn Stars” etc. One person’s Tweets aren’t going to undo those relationships.

Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Before social media, your theory might be 100% true. But times have change and so has influence. Word of mouth about a particular topic is a big thing in today’s world

But that is the thing. Anyone can be an e-activist. But once money or jobs or even reputation is at stake, most people will back down. The anonymity of the Internet gives people a sense of bravado that often does not translate into real life.

Let us remember that Fauxmusicsupe himself is an anonymous Internet poser.

bigg rome

ok, Pawns Stars? lol, They don’t pay nothing. I have problem enough trying to get Fuse to file a cue sheet.

bigg rome

I think it has translated if the majority of music supes are conversing with him on line.

If he was just a poser, they would not give him that much attention.
    I think ‘music supes’ are smarter than that.

The Dude

I think music supes listen to and follow him because he’s saying the things they are thinking and doing. They probably all see crappy library deals, bad music, shrinking budgets, etc. I’m not sure which side he’s on sometimes, though. I’ve seen references to shady music supervisor practices, and I can’t tell if he’s engaging in them or not. I do feel he looks down his nose on composers at times, and his demeanor can be whiny and self-aggrandizing. However, he does raise points about assigning worth to one’s own music (i.e. staying away from gratis deals, not accepting low rates, etc…), and not shooting yourself in the foot when you do make contact with the “higher-ups”.

I couldn’t read the WSJ article that MichaelL posted, and I’m sure it was accurate and informative, but the comment seemed dismissive of Twitter’s purpose. It’s a way of communication for the people. Certainly FauxMusicSupe is satire, but that’s the point. It’s subversive, it gets the proletariats talking. The WSJ and Twitter can both be useful modes of information (or at least catalysts to seek more knowledge).

bigg rome

The promotion of the “car company” is what i cannot get with. It just isn’t for me. I had so much luck without that. I don’t understand why that is always promoted. I stated before the panel with music sups says they don’t agree with the pay system thing. They don’t work with that company so why always promoting.

That might be the clue to unlocking who the person is? lol

The Dude

@Bigg Rome: I’m with you. Don’t get the reason for that particular promotion all the time. Asked FMS on Twitter if supes use the “car company”, didn’t really get an answer to that. I’ll still follow the guy. Just have to pick and choose the info you absorb, like anything else.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • The topic ‘Faux Music Supe: Champion or Foe?’ is closed to new replies.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us