Faux Music Supe: Champion or Foe?

Home Forums General Questions Faux Music Supe: Champion or Foe?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    BIGG ROME

Desire Inspires – thinks statement makes no sense what soever

Some people would rather pay for access to listings and info. Even though info can be gained for free, paying for the package helps others to learn more in a measured pace.

Most young people in the entertainment industry are internet savvy. We are not talking about the hobbyist, but the serious. The generation before from the 90’s and earlier struggled. I am from the 90’s generation and i see it.

THE MOTTO IS SIMPLE: YOU CANNOT A&R MUSIC FOR LICENSING.
    Nobody knows what a client needs. It is an out dated model.

All the people that fall for this in this day/age, deserve to be broke and out of their money.

Advice
    Participant

Hey BIG ROME
    I have to disagree with you on that one. Yes, the car co. approach is not for everyone. BUT, I’ve seen them do a great job acting as A&R for music licensing requests. For example, a library (or sup) wants something very specific such as an energetic piece a la [some band]. Direct submissions to the library require a lot of weeding out… Many tracks are way off target, not of good sound quality, etc. The upfront screening is very effective for the library. I’m sure you recognize how much stuff sent in by the general public is not at all suitable for prime time. I WILL grant you that sometimes “over-screening” can cause tracks not to make it that maybe should.

For some reason, you say that they screen film/TV submissions the same way they screen for Billboard hits. I have not found that to be the case most of the time. They have a stable of screeners who are focused on film/TV. In some cases now, actual music sups, agents, or library owners do screening. Again, to be fair, I’ve had occasional returns whereby I thought the screener was being too selective for the FILM/TV use, such as nit-picking on some lyric lines. But these have not been the norm.

As others have mentioned, the service, along with forward/return, their feedback, and info from the forum & peers have given many their start in a world in which they would have never known how to get started in. Although one could always find lists of libraries on the internet (maybe not as comprehensive as here), so many folks needed a service like this to learn how to make music that libraries would even want in the first place.

It’s not perfect and it’s not for everybody. I find that using them as well as direct submissions to libraries to be effective… Not either/or… 2 of a number of components in an overall marketing plan.

MichaelL
    Participant

Art, this thread has really devolved into a rant of little value. The company at the heart of this debate was removed from MLR listings long ago because it is pay to play. So the thread is basically moot.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about. Most libraries worth their salt have someone who decides what gets in and what doesn’t. That is A&R.

BIGG ROMME your time would be better spent improving your craft and learning about the business from industry pros, rather than engaging in a one man campaign against a particular company and a satyrical music supervisor.

A word of advice: A&R people do read forums, and that can influence whether or not they want to work with you.

Desire_Inspires
    Participant

This post has taken a turn for the worst. I thought we were supposed to be discussing Fauxmusicsupe. Is there any more relevant info on this guy?

Art Munson
    Keymaster

Lots of deleted posts, topic closed. Please don’t hijack threads!

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • The topic ‘Faux Music Supe: Champion or Foe?’ is closed to new replies.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us