Feedback gratefully received

Home Forums Critiques Feedback gratefully received

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DavidM
    Participant

Hello!
    I thought it was about time I started to get some helpful critiques on my work, so would be really grateful for tips on any aspect of production, suitability of music for say Drama/Film, and whether there is a market for it, as I’m pretty new to this and trying to work out where (i.e which libraries) my work would fit in, or indeed, what market to write to.
    Many thanks!
    Dave

#33658 Reply
    cyberk91
    Participant

DavidM…I really like it especially around the 47 sec mark very nice… ….but…. then it fizzles out….I would be inclined to start the track at 47 sec…then go back and use the beginning and end as another track ….I find I do the same thing so I have to catch myself and stop it…lol …..it has to keep building and building…which I am still trying to master…your track sounds like more than one song to me ……here’s a nugget I got from a ninja warrior in the biz…sharing time… that I live by and constantly have to monitor constantly when I’m writing I hope it helps …and remember this is just my opinion…the mix is very good also.

• PROLOGUE – So always come out of the gates with exposing clearly where the track is going to end up. Imagine a library album for action music that all starts with brooding drones, well this will just sound like a brooding drone library and the editor will move on until she or he can here some action music.

• INTRO – We love doing these why? Because they’re EASY. Don’t indulge these, your editor isn’t here for that. Keep it short!
    • SUBJECT 1 – Imagine introducing a character a motif or theme and build it to…
    • SUBJECT 2 – Break down the first subject and develop the theme.
    • SUBJECT 3 – Return to subject 1 but in a fuller more developed sense or modulated even.
    • EPILOGUE – After the final cadence of the piece offer an echo of your main theme or motif.

#33661 Reply
    DavidM
    Participant

Thanks for this really useful critique.
    I get what you mean at 0:47. Could it be that instead it needs building up at that point, to fit in with your ‘keep building’ concept?
    Also, you’re the second person to say there is more than one track in there lol – I have taken that on board too. He said the beat in the middle, if I was going to do it at all, should feature earlier.
    This track actually came about after someone here suggested to go to and listen to higher end library stuff and try to examine and copy the structure and various aspects of a track – but obviously come up with my own ideas. That was a track listed under ‘Drama’.

I also get that this piece wouldn’t work as an underscore to a documentary as it’s too thematic.
    How can I tell what there is a market for, and write accordingly?
    I’ve fired out about 30 or so tracks plus edits so far onto pond5 and songtradr, and have managed to sell 1 track on pond5 and get one shortlisted on songtradr, but I’ve been writing purely for pleasure and I now need to somehow get a grasp of what’s required, in what genre, and which libraries will be receptive to a given genre.

#33668 Reply
    jdt9517
    Participant

I really like it. Good production. Good arrangement. Interesting combination of sounds being used.
    I could follow the story line pretty well. So, the form is good. However, I agree cyberk91 that the piece should be divided into two separate compositions for the production world. The music supervisors will want to do their own cutting and pasting into different scenes. It’s more of a made to order piece (which is not a bad thing) rather than a more generic pad of music.

I also get that this piece wouldn’t work as an underscore to a documentary as it’s too thematic.
    How can I tell what there is a market for, and write accordingly?

There is lots of thematic material used. You have a good sense of theme. Relatively few people can write good thematic music. I would continue what you do well.
    The same usual suspects will have placements for thematic material as well as underscore pads.
    When I was a young writer, I thought I had to be a chameleon and write what everybody else wanted me to write. I slowly found out that if I wrote what would get me excited, others would be excited about it too and it would sell.

#33677 Reply
    DavidM

Hi jdt. Thank you very much for this really useful critique, and for your kind words as well, especially on theme – although it seems that themes seem out of fashion at the moment – maybe I’m wrong.
    I think I will probably keep the track as is, but also take your advice and produce 2 independent compositions from it drawing on the elements you suggest.

Should I continue throwing these pieces up on pond5 and songtradr and hope for the best? Or is there a particular type of library that is more receptive to this genre than others? That’s the quandry I guess most of us have.

#33678 Reply
    DavidM
    Participant

Hi jdt. Thank you very much for this really useful critique, and for your kind words as well, especially on theme – although it seems that themes seem out of fashion at the moment – maybe I’m wrong.
    I think I will probably keep the track as is, but also take your advice and produce 2 independent compositions from it drawing on the elements you suggest.

Should I continue throwing these pieces up on pond5 and songtradr and hope for the best? Or is there a particular type of library that is more receptive to this genre than others? That’s the quandry I guess most of us have.
    [apologies admin – I seem to have posted twice!]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Feedback gratefully received
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us