Feedback on Orchestral Track

Home Forums Critiques Feedback on Orchestral Track

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    snyder6
    Participant

Hi everyone! Would anyone with experience creating orchestral tracks be willing to give me some feedback on a track? I’m new to creating tracks like this, all of my previous experience is with rock instrumentals.

The track I’m posting here is one of my more complicated arrangements. I realize many libraries will want something simpler for background music, so I do have other tracks with more basic arrangements. For this particular set though, I wanted to create a 10-song stock movie or tv soundtrack and just see what happened with it. Not sure if that’s a good or bad idea! Here’s the track:

I’ve really only been working with VST instruments for a year, so I know I have a lot to learn. My goal is to work towards being able to compose full time and I’m trying to figure out where I’m at and what I need to work on to get there. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#39905 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump

#39906 Reply
    jdt9517
    Participant

Its really good! Your use of colors is very interesting. Your music is pulling away from from the Wagner influence (which so many of the orchestral tracks are based on) and getting more atonal. Kind of like a Stravinski influence to the music.

It captured me from start to finish. To me, if the music pulls me in (which it did) production/engineering tweaks becomes secondary. I would suggest getting together with a good engineer who does this kind of work and have him/her give you some pointers of sound engineering. You are not quite there yet, but a good mix would bring out that last 10%.

This is not a background track. Rather, it would be used to carry the scene. Such tracks are used less often, but the payout is usually better. Many can do background tracks. Few can effectively do a track that carries the scene. Old law of supply and demand.

I think there would be music supervisors interested in this kind of work. In fact, I think you’re in the process of developing a “signature” sound.

Definitely move forward. I’d love to hear what you create next!

Also, curious what VST software you are using.

#39957 Reply
    snyder6
    Participant

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback! Yeah, I have made some strides on the engineering side but I do need some work there still. I was worried about the tracks not being simple enough for background, but I am glad to hear there may still be a use for this. I do also make simpler songs for background, but this type of arrangement interests me more.

I have been using mostly Heavyocity VST’s through Pro Tools. This track uses Novo, Forzo, Vento, and Damage 2. Really high quality stuff. I do think if I wanted to make, say, a violin solo, Heavyocity doesn’t quite get the nuance I would need in some cases. Maybe someday I can afford to snag a more versatile string VST but it works great for many applications.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Reply #39906 in Feedback on Orchestral Track
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us