Free Music Licensing Software in Beta Testing

Home Forums Commentary Free Music Licensing Software in Beta Testing

• This topic has 57 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by SCP.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

Musicloops.com has just started sending out the beta version of their free MLS (Music Licensing Software) install.
    The software allows you to create your own music library on your own server for free. We are in beta right now so that we can get comments and suggestions on the install process and functionality across different platforms.

If anyone is interested in helping us test this software out on their own server please contact me here and I will send you the install
    http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/contact/scontact.php

I am making the final version of this software available free of charge to all composers as a way of giving back to the production music composer community.

Thanks,
    Mark Lewis

#17195 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

bump

#17197 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

Wow Mark that is awesome! Thanks for doing that, very cool.

#17198 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

Can you use an online server like drop box for this?

#17199 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

drop box wouldn’t do it as that is just a cloud sharing type service.
    if you have a website you can probably install this software.
    you need php v 5.3 (I think)
    and you or your server provider need to be able to create a database via phpadmin.
    Basically if you can install a wordpress blog as your own website then you will be able to install this software. That was our intention and we basically copied the wordpress install process.
    (to be clear, this software has nothing to do with wordpress, I’m just using that as an example)

let me know if you have any other questions.

#17200 Reply
    GM
    Participant

That’s great Mark, really. Do you know if someone using Weebly as platform would be able to you use the software?
    Thanks

#17201 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hey Mark, as I’ve mentioned a couple times in the past I’d like to give it a go. Just e-mail the software and instructions to me and I’ll install on one of my servers.

Thanks for doing this!

Art

#17210 Reply
    Mark

@Art
    Sorry, I wasn’t sure if you wanted to beta test or if you just wanted the final approved install. I’ve sent you the beta version and would love to get your comments on it. Thanks Art.

@GM
    I’m not sure but I don’t think so just from looking at the weebly home page.
    To install this software you need ftp access to your server at the very least. You would also need to be able to create a database in phpadmin or ask your provider to create one for you.

-Mark

#17263 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

Just installed it and it went very smooth, no glitches. Took me about 1/2 hour.

The only problem I see, for me, is that at I would like CSV import of metadata and the ability to designate a path to music stored on another server (I store mine on Amazon’s S3 servers). I’m not complaining as it’s a great thing you have done by making it available. I would have to find a programmer to modify it for my purposes though.

Thanks Mark very slick!

#17264 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

Hi Art, thank you so much, that’s very encouraging (you’re the only to actually install it so far).

The overall plan that I have is to make this free version available to everyone and try to get it as stable and useful as possible.

Then, if there is a lot of interest, my programmer and I will build plugins that add features.
    The AWS feature is already on the list as most people with lots of music are using AWS for storage. That will probably be the first feature we add as it is already working beautifully on the real musicloops.com site.

The csv import is a great idea that I had not considered.
    Can you send me a sample csv file of exactly what you want to import? I can run it past my programmer.
    It’s a great idea though.

Other features might include
    1. Merchant account Credit Card payment integration (free version is paypal only)

2. Multiple composer capabilities.

3. Subscription (gives the ability to subscribe to the entire catalog for one price)

4. Multiple genres in left hand nav (let’s you created nested sub-genres)

5. Custom skins

6. Server-side watermarking for your MP3 files (right now you have to add watermarks yourself)

and lots more.

If anyone else out there is having trouble installing the software feel free to contact me or post here and I will do what I can to help.

-Mark

PS- I just realized that we have a great csv import feature already in use on our sound effects site. You simply upload WAVs and MP3s, then upload our formatted csv and all individual tracks are created automatically.
    I’ll talk to my programmer.

#17267 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks again Mark, great stuff!

A couple of other thoughts. Website will not run unless a logo is uploaded. Someone might want to work on other aspects of the site before creating a logo. I uploaded a “dummy” image just to get the website to load.

I’m use to WordPress installs where the MYSQL database is automatically created so I had to scratch my head a bit when creating the database. My web host uses cPanel so it didn’t take long to figure out. I think the install instructions on MYSQL database creation could be a bit more informative.

#17268 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

“Server-side watermarking for your MP3 files (right now you have to add watermarks yourself)”

That would be a God-send!

#17269 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

Website will not run unless a logo is uploaded.

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. Will fix that.
    Also the warnings to delete the install.php should just be links that delete the file, instead of making you look for it.

I’m use to WordPress installs where the MYSQL database is automatically created so I had to scratch my head a bit when creating the database.

Right, it seems like we should be able to make that easier.
    I’ll put it on the list.

These comments are great, can’t thank you enough.

#17271 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Also the warnings to delete the install.php should just be links that delete the file, instead of making you look for it.

Good idea. Also asked to delete “Install Directory”. I didn’t have that but did delete the zip file. Is that what you meant by Install Directory?

#17272 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

“Server-side watermarking for your MP3 files (right now you have to add watermarks yourself)”

That would be a God-send!

Of course if I have music files on Amazon Servers that might be a bit of a problem. Yes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
Reply To: Reply #17210 in Free Music Licensing Software in Beta Testing
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us